History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

West Princes Street Gardens, Royal Scots Memorial

A Category B Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9511 / 55°57'3"N

Longitude: -3.1973 / 3°11'50"W

OS Eastings: 325333

OS Northings: 673761

OS Grid: NT253737

Mapcode National: GBR 8MG.V6

Mapcode Global: WH6SL.VPP6

Entry Name: West Princes Street Gardens, Royal Scots Memorial

Listing Date: 15 October 2001

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 395664

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48253

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: City Centre

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Edinburgh

Description

Frank Mears and Partners and C d'Orville Pilkington Jackson, 1950. Monument consisting of semicircular enclosure bounded by rectangular standing stones with low relief panels by Jackson depicting history of Regiment, linked by metal grilles with inscriptions and medallions. Central stone with inscribed names of campaigns in which Regiment took part and bronze plaque to centre with crown and initials and insignia of George VI.

Statement of Interest

The A Group comprises The Allan Ramsay Monument, The Cottage, Dr Guthrie's Monument, The Police Box, The Ross Fountain, The Royal Scots Greys Monument, The Royal Scots Memorial, The Scottish American Memorial, The Shelters, The Simpson Monument, The Robert Louis Stevenson Memorial and The Statuary Group, all in West Princes Street Gardens. The Royal Scots Memorial was unveiled by HRH the Princess Royal on 28th July 1953. West Princes Street Gardens were laid out by James Skene for the Princes Street proprietors circa 1820. In 1866 John Dick Peddie produced a plan, shown in 2 water-colours entitled 'the Athens of the North,' one looking NE across E Princes Street Gardens, showing Calton Hill with a completed National Monument/Parthenon, and the other, looking W across W Princes Street Gardens, showing the Gardens as a 'Walhalla' with a broad terrace with monuments and mausolea, fountains and a winter garden. The gardens were acquired by the city in 1876 and further landscaped by Robert Morham.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.