This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.5788 / 56°34'43"N
Longitude: -2.5882 / 2°35'17"W
OS Eastings: 363964
OS Northings: 743144
OS Grid: NO639431
Mapcode National: GBR VV.MGW4
Mapcode Global: WH8S2.6WSY
Entry Name: St Vigeans Primary School
Listing Date: 12 November 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395670
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48272
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Arbroath and St Vigeans
Electoral Ward: Arbroath East and Lunan
Traditional County: Angus
Possibly Sir Robert Rowand Anderson, dated 1875. 20th century additions. Single storey, 3-bay gothic school on ground falling to SW. Stugged squared and snecked rubble with ashlar dressings, harled extension. Chamfered base course. Pointed-, segmental- and square-headed openings. Hoodmoulds, some with label-stops. Stone transoms and mullions and chamfered reveals.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: steps up to finialled gabled porch in bay to right with pointed-arch
door, weathered hoodmoulded roundel in gablehead and small pointed-arch 4-light window on return to right; set-back bay to right with bipartite window below tiny pointed-arch opening in dormer gablet breaking eaves above. Advanced broad gabled bay to left with 12-light segmental-headed window and quatrefoil panel in gablehead.
N ELEVATION: symmetrical 4-bay elevation. 3-light windows to centre bays flanked by similar hoodmoulded windows with hoodmoulded roundels to dormer gablets.
S ELEVATION: gabled bay to centre with 3-light transomed window and hoodmould incorporating incised panel worded 'ST VIGEAN'S (eroded) PUBLIC SCHOOL/1875', quatrefoil in gablehead. Lean-to link bay adjoining later flat-roofed bay set-back to outer right.
E ELEVATION: mirrors W elevation but with bipartite window to centre porch-like bay and extensions to outer right and left.
Small-pane glazing patterns in timber windows throughout. Graded grey slates. Ashlar-coped skews with stone finials. Coped ashlar bell-cote ridge stack with cans. Some square-section cast-iron downpipes with decorative fixings.
INTERIOR: (not seen 2001). Fireplaces retained (but boarded). Decorative cast-iron ceiling vents to each classroom.
The possibility of Sir Robert Rowan Anderson as architect is based both on stylistic grounds and on the fact that he was working nearby on the renovation of St Vigeans Parish Church in 1871. Described by A N Paterson in 1921 as "the premier architect of Scotland", Anderson's palette ranged broadly across gothic and classical designs but among many examples of the former are what Sam McKinstry describes as "a series of mostly small, ecclesiologically 'correct' churches for Episcopalian congregations all over Scotland from the mid-1860s to the mid 1870s, followed by restoration work at St Vigeans, Arbroath (1871-73) and by the consolidation of Iona (1874-76)". Educational buildings also featured heavily in Rowand Anderson's designs, including for example, the fine West Primary School, Milton Road, Kirkcaldy, Fife, and the Stockbridge Primary School, Hamilton Place, Edinburgh.
Other nearby listed buildings