This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 57.3925 / 57°23'32"N
Longitude: -7.3496 / 7°20'58"W
OS Eastings: 78739
OS Northings: 846215
OS Grid: NF787462
Mapcode National: GBR 8975.Y58
Mapcode Global: WGW49.2GH6
Entry Name: Isle of South Uist, Iochdar Church Including Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 15 November 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395673
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48278
Building Class: Cultural
Location: South Uist
County: Na h-Eileanan Siar
Electoral Ward: Barraigh, Bhatarsaigh, Eirisgeigh agus Uibhist a Deas
Parish: South Uist
Traditional County: Inverness-shire
David Mackintosh, 1889. Rectangular-plan aisless mission church with small pitch-roofed porch. Roughly squared snecked rubble with harl-pointing; harled to S. 3-bay nave. Square-headed openings incorporating timber-mullioned traceried windows.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: porch with iron cross finial and modern timber door in bay to left, 2 small bipartite windows to right.
N ELEVATION: gabled elevation with large tripartite window to centre.
S (ROAD) ELEVATION: gabled elevation with large untraceried window.
W ELEVATION: 3 regularly-disposed small bipartite windows.
Leaded multi-pane square- and diamond-pattern glazing (some coloured) in timber windows. Ballachulish slate. Overhanging, slightly swept eaves and plain bargeboarding
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: drystone rubble boundary walls with pyramidally-coped square-section gatepiers.
INTERIOR: walls and roof space lined with boarded timber; wall plaque commemorating visit of Queen and Duke of Edinburgh, 15th August, 1956.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. A well-detailed humble church appropriate to its location. Groome mentions mission churches at 'Iachdar' (sic), as well as Boisdale (1836) and Benbecula (1824).
Other nearby listed buildings