History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sunbury Street, Belford Mews, Sunbury House, (Former Whytock and Reid Cabinet Makers)

A Category B Listed Building in Inverleith, Edinburgh

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9522 / 55°57'8"N

Longitude: -3.2212 / 3°13'16"W

OS Eastings: 323842

OS Northings: 673919

OS Grid: NT238739

Mapcode National: GBR 8HF.0S

Mapcode Global: WH6SL.HNB9

Entry Name: Sunbury Street, Belford Mews, Sunbury House, (Former Whytock and Reid Cabinet Makers)

Listing Date: 15 November 2001

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 395674

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48279

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: Inverleith

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Edinburgh

Description

1886. 3-storey and basement, cellar, and attic storeys, 16-bay, rectangular-plan former cabinet makers workshop; 2-bay gable end to SW elevation; 3-storey linked residential block (2008) to NE. Red brick with dressed ashlar cills and brick lintels. Plain brick skews and skewputts. Irregular fenestration at ground floor with some later doorways and windows. Regular fenestration at 1st and 2nd floors; small canted window to SE corner at 1st floor with moulded cill and lintel. Some later rooflights at attic.

Later 9-pane glazing throughout with fixed 6-pane glazing to canted window. Pitched roof with lead ridge and flashing; grey slates. Brick gable end stacks with ashlar base and neck copes, modern clay cans.

Statement of Interest

A large and well-detailed building purpose built in 1886 as a cabinet maker's workshop. The workshop provides a link to the industrial heritage of the Dean Village with nearby Sunbury Street (see separate listing) a row of houses for artisans. Although now no longer occupied by the firm Whytock and Reid (converted for residential dwelling, 2008) the building was originally commissioned by Robert and Hugh Reid in 1886. The firm of Whytock and Reid received a Royal warrant in the early 19th century and supplied furniture to the Royal and major houses of Scotland from this date. The firm was associated (circa 1880 and 1920) with Robert Lorimer who spent time in the workshop designing furniture for some of his larger houses.

The site was originally larger with 2 large timber drying sheds (one of which is in Summerlee Heritage Park, North Lanarkshire, the other demolished 2001). A 2-storey joinery workshop to the NE of the remaining block was a later addition, linked to the main block via a glazed extension. This was demolished in 2008, leaving the original block as part of a wider scheme of residential development.

(List description revised 2009 as part of re-survey.)

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.