History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

197 Crookston Road, Ross Hall Park, Grotto, Rock Garden, Passage, Retaining Wall, Boat House and Ornamental Paths

A Category B Listed Building in Cardonald, Glasgow

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8386 / 55°50'18"N

Longitude: -4.3634 / 4°21'48"W

OS Eastings: 252097

OS Northings: 663123

OS Grid: NS520631

Mapcode National: GBR 3M.556H

Mapcode Global: WH3P6.YHCX

Entry Name: 197 Crookston Road, Ross Hall Park, Grotto, Rock Garden, Passage, Retaining Wall, Boat House and Ornamental Paths

Listing Date: 23 November 2001

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 395675

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48282

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Cardonald

Traditional County: Renfrewshire

Find accommodation in
Renfrew

Description

Attributed to James Pulham & Son, circa 1895. Garden structures con-

structed at intervals around 3 sides of open lawn built in partly natural

and partly artificial Pulhamite stone, including grotto, rock garden and

rock flanked narrow passage, low wall, subterranean boat house and

ornamental paths, all designed to appear as natural outcrops.

GROTTO: rock-walled enclosure constructed around sunken pool (now filled-in) with 'rockery' masonry, bridges arched over water features, plant troughs in hollowed boulders and rock wall and shelter area under overhanging rock.

ROCK GARDEN: traditional rockery beds with large boulder construction.

PASSAGE: passage between towering, over-hanging sections of rock-wall almost meeting at head, creating small-scale ravine and made of variety of natural rock type boulders.

WALL: low wall defining outer edge of garden.

BOAT HOUSE: by man-made pond, rectangular enclosure with shallow, segmental barrel-vaulted roof, with banded masonry walls evident on interior and banded soffit. Exterior entrance obscured by overgrowth (2001).

ORNAMENTAL PATHS: footpaths constructed of sunk boulders in cyclopean effect.

Statement of Interest

The Ross Hall designed landscape is exceptional in Scotland for the Pulhamite work. It occupies a site evident as a park in the 18th century, known in the 19th century as Rosshill, owned by the Earls of Glasgow. James Cowan purchased the estate and built the present Ross Hall in 1877 (now a hospital, listed separately, 221 Crookston Road). The landscaped park was acquired by Glasgow Corporation in 1948, and opened to the public in 1967. The Boat House is described as a cave on the current edition OS map. The Pulham dynasty had been in existence as landscape designers since the 18th century. Other known (or attributed) work to date by the firm in Scotland includes sites in the Kelvingrove Park, and at Ardross. They were responsible in England for commissions at Buckingham Palace, St James Park and Sandringham. Cowan was evidently both wealthy and well-connected, the works which he funded at Ross Hall being estimated at ?20,000. Further listings at Ross Hall include the former gate lodge, 197 Crookston Road, with gatepiers and quadrants, the ornamental chimney stack, and the former stables, 161 Crookston Road.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.