This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.6661 / 56°39'57"N
Longitude: -5.8167 / 5°49'0"W
OS Eastings: 166229
OS Northings: 759211
OS Grid: NM662592
Mapcode National: GBR DC03.4G7
Mapcode Global: WGZCX.MQB2
Entry Name: Glencripesdale, Glencripesdale House
Listing Date: 27 November 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395678
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48285
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Fort William and Ardnamurchan
Traditional County: Argyllshire
Circa 1800. 2-storey with attic, 3-bay, rectangular-plan, symmetrical, substantial former tacksman's house. Harled, squared sandstone rubble. Gabled porch to centre, roof dormers.
NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: advanced gabled porch to centre, regular fenestration, 4 small gabled roof dormers.
SW (REAR) ELEVATION: single window to centre; small lean-to, timber-framed conservatory to right.
SE (SIDE) ELEVATION: single storey, 2-bay gabled wing to centre, regular fenestration and roof dormers to front, NE, return, swept roof outshot to rear, SW, return. Single storey with attic, 3-bay, rectangular-plan gabled addition abutting to centre of SE gable end; door to centre, flanking windows, slated swept dormer.
4-pane sash and case windows to principal elevation. Grey slates, large Velux rooflights to rear. String course to gable stacks, tall clay cans.
INTERIOR: central cross passage with stairs to rear, single flanking rooms, renovated late 1970s.
The Duke of Argyll's Morvern estates were sold off at the Argyll sales 1819-25 to enterprising sheep ranchers such as the infamous Patrick Sellars of Sutherland who purchased the Ardtornish estate. The fall in wool prices in the mid to late nineteenth century saw the arrival of the new sporting estates and the construction of a new type of comfortable
gentleman's retreat. What is remarkable is that despite these massive changes in landownership, from an Argyll empire through to a patchwork of relatively small shooting estates, is that a number of the fifth Duke of Argyll's tacksmens houses still remain today. Glencripesdale is one of the oldest farms in Morvern dating back to the Maclean period in 1674 (Glencribastil) featuring on Wade's 1733 map of Loch Sunart and the Argyll estate map of 1819. The farm was bought at the Argyll sales in 1820 by the Stewarts of Auch. The house itself dates from the late eighteenth or early nineteenth century and is the largest of the surviving Argyll tacksmens' houses in Morvern