History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ardtornish Estate, Beach House

A Category C Listed Building in Fort William and Ardnamurchan, Highland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.6184 / 56°37'6"N

Longitude: -5.6394 / 5°38'21"W

OS Eastings: 176809

OS Northings: 753313

OS Grid: NM768533

Mapcode National: GBR DCG7.1N8

Mapcode Global: WH0FB.BXT5

Entry Name: Ardtornish Estate, Beach House

Listing Date: 27 November 2001

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 395682

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48287

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Morvern

County: Highland

Electoral Ward: Fort William and Ardnamurchan

Traditional County: Argyllshire

Find accommodation in
Acharn

Description

Mid to later 19th century probably incorporating earlier fabric. 2-storey, T-plan, farmhouse with catslide roof. Squared and tooled sandstone courses. Barge-boarded overhanging eaves. Projecting stone cills to windows. Broad gabled windows breaking eaves to upper storey.

NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: advanced gabled bay to right, single windows to ground and upper storey. Advanced porch to left return with slated lean-to roof. Single windows to ground and gabled window to upper storey.

SE (REAR) ELEVATION: advanced gabled bay to left, single window to ground and upper storey. Advanced bay to right return with catslide roof. Advanced porch with pentice slated roof to right. Door to outer right bay.

SW (SIDE) ELEVATION: gabled window breaking eaves to centre wallhead stack to left, windows to centre ground and outer left bay.

NE (SIDE) ELEVATION: gable end, catslide roof to outer left advanced bay. Windows to outer bays at ground.

2-pane upper and plate glass lower timber sash and case windows. Grey slates, lead flashing. Coped gable stacks.

INTERIOR: hall to central staircase at rear, apartments to left and right, kitchen to rear right.

Statement of Interest

Of good local character and quality Beach House has remarkably fine interiors with plasterwork cornices, timber dados, panelled doors and shutters and decorative cast-iron balustrade to the central staircase. Formerly one of a dozen farms comprising the Duke of Argyll's Morvern estates that covered over two thirds of the Morvern peninsula

including the farms of Ardtornish, Rahoy, Glencripesdale, Laudale, Achleek and Beach. Beach was initially let to a Ewen MacFie in 1754 but then sold with t Glencripesdale and Laudale to Alexander Stewart at the Argyll sales. The farm was then later bought by Robert MacFie of Airds in 1869 until sold again to the Ardtornish estate in 1936 with whom it remains. The present Beach House was probably built by the MacFies of Airds in the 1870s to a design by, or in imitation of, Samuel Barham who during the 1870s was responsible for numerous buildings of similar style in the Lochaline area as master of works for the Ardtornish estate. The present footprint of the building is shown on the 1st edition OS map of 1872.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.