This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.0256 / 56°1'32"N
Longitude: -5.4193 / 5°25'9"W
OS Eastings: 187025
OS Northings: 686687
OS Grid: NR870866
Mapcode National: GBR FD0S.DG3
Mapcode Global: WH0JB.QTK2
Plus Code: 9C8P2HGJ+67
Entry Name: Kilmory Castle Home Farm Including Horse Exercise Ring
Listing Date: 13 December 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395688
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48295
Building Class: Cultural
County: Argyll and Bute
Electoral Ward: Mid Argyll
Traditional County: Argyllshire
Probably 1816; remodelled by Joseph Gordon Davis circa 1830. Single and 2-storey, rectangular-plan classical courtyard steading and isolated range to E. Squared and snecked rubble with droved ashlar margins (some raised), large dressed ashlar and some roughly-squared quoins. Keystoned Venetian windows; voussoired segmental cart arches; stone mullions.
NW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: gabled 4-centred arch to centre with 2 Venetian windows to each flank.
SE ELEVATION: long 2-storey range comprising 3-bay dwelling (?) to right of centre with later porch projection at centre ground and windows to each floor in flanking bays, those to 1st floor breaking eaves into tall gabled dormers. Further bays to outer right with stone forestair leading to blocked door at 1st floor left and window to right at each floor. 2 widely-spaced bays each with door at ground and that to left with hayloft door above; further bays to outer left behind large roofless lean-to projection.
NE ELEVATION: broad gabled bay to left with louvered opening to each floor, single storey range to centre with blocked cart arch and variety of elements to stepped bays beyond to right.
SW ELEVATION: tall slightly advanced outer gables with decoratively-stepped skews, that to left with arch (over burn?) at ground, transomed opening above
and narrow window to gablehead, that to right with single window off-centre left at 1st floor and gablehead opening as above. Centre bays with door to left and cart arch to right at ground, 4 windows above. Further lean-to bay (roofless) with single window set-back to outer right.
SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: broad square-headed arch in gabled bay to centre with window in gablehead, spiral stair to left accessed from inside return at left of arch; sliding boarded timber doors to flanking bays at ground, and 2 piended dormers breaking eaves to right.
NE ELEVATION: long range with 2 widely-spaced windows and roofless bay (or link wall) with door to left.
NW ELEVATION: variety of openings to ground, 2 dormer windows breaking eaves at centre
and left, and square window abutting eaves at right.
SW ELEVATION: 5 irregularly-disposed door at ground (those to bays 2 and 3 part-blocked), 2 square louvered openings retained and 2 similar blocked openings at 1st floor.
INTERIORS: cobbled setts and some boarded timber walls.
ISOLATED RANGE (KENNELS?) TO NE:
SW ELEVATION: gabled outer bays flanking corrugated semicircular-roofed implement shed with cast-iron columns.
NE ELEVATION: low 5-bay range with lean-to corrugated roof. 3 centre opening with ventilated boarded timber doors, taller 2-leaf boarded timber door to outer left and broad lean-to bay to outer right.
Some 4-pane and vertical 6-pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows; Venetian window with decoratively-astragalled upper sashes over 6-pane lower. Grey slates; SW elevation of courtyard range corrugated. Coped ashlar stacks some with thackstanes and cans. Ashlar-coped skews to SW. Plain bargeboarding to gabled dormers.
HORSE EXERCISE RING: circular rubble-walled enclosure to NW.
To the N of the walled garden are classical gatepiers dated 1816. The Buildings of Scotland volume mentions a central circle of cobbles within the courtyard. Kilmory Castle is listed separately at category 'B'. Davis had worked at Kilmory Castle, to which the steading belonged, between 1828 and 1836, and the Clock Lodge at the entrance to the estate is also attributed to him. He was a London architect, brought up by Sir John Orde when he purchased the estate from the Campbells in 1828.
Other nearby listed buildings