This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.7883 / 55°47'17"N
Longitude: -3.995 / 3°59'41"W
OS Eastings: 275003
OS Northings: 656797
OS Grid: NS750567
Mapcode National: GBR 01JH.XX
Mapcode Global: WH4QQ.LSV0
Entry Name: Motherwell, Avon Street, Holy Trinity Episcopal Church
Listing Date: 10 December 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395689
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48296
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Motherwell and Wishaw
County: North Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Motherwell West
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Miles S Gibson, 1894. 7-bay. Plain Arts and Crafts-gothic, cruciform-plan church, aligned NS. Slated timber fleche, buttressed, steeply pitched gabled roof with overhanging eaves. Squared and snecked red sandstone with ashlar dressings. Continuous cill course to gable ends; lancet windows with chamfered margins; plain barge boarding to gables.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 7-bay. Tripartite lancet windows except gabled porch to 2nd bay from left with pointed-arched door and paired lancet windows to centre bay; single tall lancet to gabled transept to penultimate right, blind terminating bay to outer right.
N (FRONT) ELEVATION: tall tripartite, stepped lancet windows with double chamfered reveal and stopped hoodmould; hoodmoulded vesica to apex.
S (REAR) ELEVATION: mirror of N.
W (SIDE) ELEVATION: mirror to E.
Leaded glass, stained glass to gables. Grey graded slates; ridge tiles, decorative ridge tiles to chancel. Cross finials to gables. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: brick lined walls with ashlar dressings; pointed chancel arch; open timber beam roof supported on stone corbels; deep window embrasures.
BOUNDARY WALL: dwarf squared rubble wall to street with saddleback coping rising to gate piers; later gates and railings.
Ecclesiastical building still in use as such. Miles S Gibson, worked from 131 West Regent Street, Glasgow. Also responsible for Wishaw St Andrews Episcopal Church in a similar style (see separate listing). A simple design but notable for it's good proportions.
Other nearby listed buildings