This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7886 / 55°47'18"N
Longitude: -3.9982 / 3°59'53"W
OS Eastings: 274802
OS Northings: 656834
OS Grid: NS748568
Mapcode National: GBR 01JH.6T
Mapcode Global: WH4QQ.KRBS
Entry Name: Motherwell, 114 Hamilton Road, the Moorings House Hotel
Listing Date: 10 December 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395702
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48308
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Motherwell and Wishaw
County: North Lanarkshire
Town: Motherwell And Wishaw
Electoral Ward: Motherwell West
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Circa 1870 with additions circa 1900. 2-storey with attic, 5-bay, M-gabled, rectangular-plan Jacobethan villa. Yellow ashlar sandstone. Base course, dividing band between 1st and 2nd storey, eaves course. Ball-finialled shoulders to coped gables, stone mullions and transoms to openings.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: slightly advanced double gabled bay to centre; tiled steps to segmental arch door to right, lugged architrave; framed panel bearing carved Colville arms over door, stopped hoodmould; small bipartite window to left. Bipartite window to 1st floor right bay, double-height tripartite hall window to left; small bipartite window flanked by pilaster supporting a semicircular pediment to gablehead; statue of unicorn bearing Colville arms to apex; narrow windows to left return. Regular fenestration to flanking bays. Slightly advanced full-height canted bay to outer right, strap-work parapet.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: single storey and attic, early 20th century service wing to left, later additions to right.
SW (SIDE) ELEVATION: slightly advanced gabled bay to left; tripartite windows to ground and 1st floor, small bipartite window to gablehead flanked by carved panels, spur finial to apex; blind bay to centre, battered wallhead stack; slightly advanced angled, gabled bay to outer right corner, tripartite windows, single windows to returns 1st and 2nd floor, Colville arms to gablehead, consoled column breaking eaves and terminating in semicircular arched cap to apex.
NE (SIDE) ELEVATION: gabled bay to left; advanced, canted chiney breast, framed panel depicting Viking ship to centre, small inglenook windows to return, battered to 1st floor, battered at gablehead, small flanking windows, coped stack at apex. Gabled bay to right, window to ground floor left bay, 2 windows to 1st floor, 2 small windows to gablehead, coped stack at apex. Single storey plus attic cottage to outer right; door to centre, regular fenestration, piended dormers breaking eaves.
Modern double-glazed windows. Grey slates, pantile crested roof ridges. Cast-iron rainwater goods with decorative brackets.
INTERIOR: not seen 2001.
The Moorings is the former home of wealthy Motherwell steel works owner, J. Colville (The family which commisioned Sir Basil Spence's Gribloch). The Dalzell Steel Works were later taken over by British Steel, now Corus, including Colville's classical office building by Robert Harvie (see separate listing). Colville was a prominent figure in the local community and like many nineteenth century industrialists chose to build his house and live close to the town. The Moorings was and still is by far the largest house in the Hamilton Road area.
Other nearby listed buildings