This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7911 / 55°47'27"N
Longitude: -3.9921 / 3°59'31"W
OS Eastings: 275188
OS Northings: 657102
OS Grid: NS751571
Mapcode National: GBR 01KG.HX
Mapcode Global: WH4QQ.NP5W
Entry Name: Motherwell, 31-37 (Odd Nos) Merry Street, the Railway Tavern
Listing Date: 10 December 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395707
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48312
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Motherwell and Wishaw
County: North Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Motherwell South East and Ravenscraig
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
James Cowie, 1908. 2-storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan, symmetrical, classical public house with tenements above. Tuscan columns to central upper storey window. Red ashlar sandstone, brick to rear.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: large tripartite window to centre ground floor, timber mullions, window to left, door with fanlight to right. Flanking doors, consoled segmental pediment over doors. Tripartite window, timber mullions, to outer left bay, plate glass shop front to outer right bay. Tripartite window to centre of upper storey, engaged Tuscan columns on blocked plinths to mullions. Flanking windows, battered wallhead stacks. Canted windows to outer bays.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: 3 square-plan stair towers, piended roofs. Modern additions to ground, forestairs to upper storey tenements.
SW (SIDE) ELEVATION: blind gable end.
NE (SIDE) ELEVATION: blind gable end
Original plate glass sash and case windows to pub with Glasgow School patterned leaded glass to upper sash. Mixture of plate glass and 4-pane upper sashes to sash and case windows to upper storey. Grey slates, lead flashing. Coped skews and gable end stacks. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: timber central bar, oval counter with gantries to centre. Side booths removed.
Remarkably well preserved Victorian town centre pub with front and rear elevations remaining unaltered from the original plans. James Cowie's Wishaw based practice flourished between 1880 and 1920 and carried out numerous commissions in the local area of Motherwell and Wishaw. His work on the full range of shops, tenements, public buildings and villas tended towards a Glasgow influenced, heavy classicism, depending on scale and budget. Although Cowie's own house at 43-5 Clelland Road, Wishaw (see separate listing) shows his personal taste was more akin to the Arts and Crafts style of Voysey.
Other nearby listed buildings