This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.786 / 55°47'9"N
Longitude: -3.9841 / 3°59'2"W
OS Eastings: 275679
OS Northings: 656524
OS Grid: NS756565
Mapcode National: GBR 01MJ.8Q
Mapcode Global: WH4QQ.ST0R
Entry Name: Motherwell, Windmillhill Street, Motherwell Baptist Church Including Church Hall
Listing Date: 10 December 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395712
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48317
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Motherwell and Wishaw
County: North Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Motherwell South East and Ravenscraig
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Alexander Cullen, dated 1895. Rectangular-plan, church in style of Lombard basilica. Tripartite pedimented facade. Ashlar red sandstone, harled sides. Base course, eaves course. Semicircular arched openings, chamfered reveals.
SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: slightly advanced central pedimented bay; door to centre, cavetto hoodmould; tripartite window inscribed within semicircular recessed arch, breaking pediment, above; flanking Corinthian columns; plain giant order pilasters flanking central bay. Regular fenestration to flanking bays. Lombard frieze eaves course, projecting cornice.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: gable end, obscured by adjoining church hall.
SE (SIDE) ELEVATION: 5-bay. Regular fenestration except pedimented canted bay with piended roof to outer left bay and tall gallery windows; outer right bay blocked and obscured by hall forestairs.
NW (SIDE) ELEVATION: mirror of SE except oculus to tympanum of pedimented bay.
INTERIOR: open plan, plain whitewashed walls.
Square-pane leaded windows. Grey slates, pantile ridges. Cavetto moulded cast-iron rainwater gutters.
CHURCH HALL: John Wilson, 1909. 2-storey, rectangular-plan, gabled hall. Harled sandstone. SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: forestairs to far right of 1st floor, 2-leaf door with semicircular fanlight within gabled red ashlar sandstone porch. Bays to left obscured by adjoining chancel. NE (REAR) ELEVATION: blind, flat-roofed modern addition to ground. SE (SIDE) ELEVATION: gable end. Tripartite window to centre inscribed by semicircular hoodmould, flanking windows; large blocked Venetian window to 2nd storey. NW (SIDE) ELEVATION: obscured by modern additions. Grey slates, lead flashing, coped skews.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. The Glasgow trained, Lanarkshire architect Alexander Cullen was prolific between 1880 and his death in 1912 and was responsible for a large proportion of buildings within Motherwell, Wishaw and Hamilton at this period. Working in Jacobethan, Classical and later Glasgow School styles Cullen was a skilled architect and a fortunate one as his working career coincided with the late nineteenth century, steel and coal driven building boom in North Lanarkshire. His commissions varied from cottages, to villas, cinemas, schools, hospitals, factories, stables, shops and churches.
Other nearby listed buildings