This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7822 / 55°46'55"N
Longitude: -4.2654 / 4°15'55"W
OS Eastings: 258023
OS Northings: 656644
OS Grid: NS580566
Mapcode National: GBR 3R.8PH4
Mapcode Global: WH3PG.GX2N
Entry Name: Cartside Drive, Busby Glen Park, Gates, Gatepiers and Railings and Gate to Former Lodge House
Listing Date: 8 January 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395716
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48324
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Renfrewshire
Electoral Ward: Clarkston, Netherlee and Williamwood
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Sydney Mitchell & Wilson, architects, with Thomas Hadden, blacksmith, circa 1925. Enclosed park entrance screened with square granite piers and decorative splayed, gently curved quadrant railings and 2-leaf gates, with turning space similarly enclosed with further stretch of railings and 3 squat stone piers; decorative pedestrian gate to lodge house. Wrought-ironwork incorporating wild life (owl, lark) and botanical (cherry, acorn, ivy) details, and foliate and floral ornament.
MAIN ENTRANCE: 2-leaf swept and finialled gates to centre each including decorative panels and with railed posts capped with fleuron and scrolled brackets. Bull-faced granite piers with cushion caps flanking, both with rectangular panels, E pier's with bronze dedicatory plaque (see Notes). Railings flanking including straight and quadrant sections, now part-obscured by foliage, with decorative panels and finials at intervals, and ornate scrolls making transition to lower railings of outer sections.
OUTER PIERS: low squat versions of main granite piers with cushion caps.
LODGE GATE: iron gate with decorative central panel, flanked by finialled and railed posts.
The plaque on the E pier details the raison d'etre of the park, declaring: 'Busby Glen Park Presented to the Parishes of East Kilbride and Mearns by William J Kippen of Busby & Westerton 1924 Sydney Mitchell & Wilson Architects Edinburgh'. The plaque from the W pier is missing but a photo showing it in situ in the 1960s is held in Giffnock Library. The park is a linear area of circa 8 acres running along side the White Cart Water, formerly part of the policies of Busby House. The owner of the house was the owner of the bleachworks which by the 1920s occupied the site of the former cotton mill. Hadden (1871-1940) was a prominent figure in the Scottish Arts and Crafts Movement, working from a forge in Roseburn, Edinburgh. Examples of his work featuring details similar to those at Busby include his sample railing design for the West Linton home of PatrickThomson. He came from a family of designers and blacksmiths.
Other nearby listed buildings