This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 58.9319 / 58°55'54"N
Longitude: -2.7186 / 2°43'6"W
OS Eastings: 358731
OS Northings: 1005181
OS Grid: HY587051
Mapcode National: GBR M5N3.TKL
Mapcode Global: WH7CG.6RPL
Plus Code: 9CCVW7JJ+QH
Entry Name: Deerness, Bisgarth Manse
Listing Date: 28 January 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395717
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48328
Building Class: Cultural
Location: St Andrews and Deerness
County: Orkney Islands
Electoral Ward: East Mainland, South Ronaldsay and Burray
Parish: St Andrews And Deerness
Traditional County: Orkney
Thomas Telford, contractors J Davidson, T Macfarlane, 1828. Single storey, 5-bay, H-plan standard Parliamentary manse. Coursed rubble; slaister pointing; blocked ashlar to door and window surrounds to principal elevation.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central door; rectangular fanlight; flanking windows. Flanking advanced outer bays. Central window to N bay (S bay not seen, 2001).
S ELEVATION: window off-centre to left.
W ELEVATION: door to centre left; window to centre. Advanced wing to left; 2 windows. Advanced wing to right; central door.
N ELEVATION: central window.
Principal elevation and rear door boarded up; timber boarded door to rear wing (byre). 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Piended slate roof; slates laid in diminishing courses. 2 coped ridge stacks, 3 circular cans to each. Rooflight to rear above off-centre door.
INTERIOR: not seen, 2001.
In 1819, the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland appealed for Parliamentary aid to build additional churches in Scotland. This led to Parliament passing an Act of 1823, which resulted in the erection of 32 churches and 41 manses by 1835. Thomas Telford superintended the project and proposed standard designs for the buildings including single storey and 2-storey manses (of which 22 and 19 were built respectively). Bisgarth is a typical H-plan manse that has been relatively unaltered and retains its rear byre (which, in the case of other manses, is often converted to an additional room). Joseph Mitchell, a pupil of Telford, undertook the alterations of the associated St Ninian's Church (see separate list description).
Other nearby listed buildings