This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 58.7949 / 58°47'41"N
Longitude: -3.2014 / 3°12'5"W
OS Eastings: 330664
OS Northings: 990331
OS Grid: ND306903
Mapcode National: GBR L5GH.265
Mapcode Global: WH6BV.S6PK
Entry Name: South Walls (Hoy), Glebelands (Former South Walls Manse), Including Walled Garden and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 31 January 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395722
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48337
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Walls and Flotta
County: Orkney Islands
Electoral Ward: Stromness and South Isles
Traditional County: Orkney
Circa 1840 incorporating early 19th century wing. 2-storey; 3-bay; rectangular-plan main block; with earlier 19th century single storey and attic wing to W; forming overall L-plan. Main block of symmetrical design; crowstepped gable to earlier W wing; lean-to containing dovecote at its W end. Former manse. Harled with ashlar dressings.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: gabled rectangular-plan porch to centre; window to front; steps up to entrance (with boarded timber door) to left return; window to right return. Window above. Flanking windows to each floor.
N ELEVATION: 2 windows to each floor to main block. Earlier single storey and attic wing adjoins to right; 2 windows at ground (that to left blocked). End wall of lean-to containing dovecote adjoins to outer right; entrance to left; small window to right.
S ELEVATION: 2 windows to each floor to main block (that to right of 1st floor blocked). Earlier single storey and attic wing adjoins set back to left; near central entrance; window to right. End wall of lean-to containing dovecote projects to left; entrance to right of right return; small window to left; 3 flightholes, each with ledge, above to right.
W ELEVATION: gable end of earlier single storey and attic wing projects to left; lean-to containing dovecote projects across entire width, extending to right; small window to left of centre. Central stair window set back to main block; inserted window below; small inserted window left of 1st floor.
Mainly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Piended Welsh slate roof to main block. Stone Caithness slate roofs to earlier wing to W and adjoining lean-to (S pitch of that to wing replaced in corrugated perspex; rooflight to N pitch). Stacks with band courses at apex of N and S pitches of main block; corniced gablehead stack to W wing; round cans.
INTERIOR: open well staircase with cast-iron balustrade (with barley-sugar twist balusters). Plan-form intact. Decorative marble fireplace surrounds to 2 main rooms and some decorative ceiling cornices. Part-glazed panelled timber door set within glazed screen to main entrance within porch. Largely panelled timber doors elsewhere. Box bed to attic room in W wing. Large recessed nesting boxes to dovecote in lean-to.
WALLED GARDEN: coursed rubble wall encloses rectangular-plan garden to SE. Entrance gateway to W; blocked entrance to E; inserted entrance to N. Lower height rubble wall encloses land on each side of former manse (additional section links E end of manse to W end of walled garden). 2 entranceways to N; that to E with rendered square-plan gatepiers with pyramid coping.
A fine, intact former Church of Scotland manse of circa 1840, retaining a well preserved walled garden and an earlier wing with attached dovecote. It appears to have been constructed shortly after the church itself was rebuilt (in Longhope) in 1832. Prior to 1782, the manse stood very near to here (it was probably the much altered adjacent house to the SW). At that date a new manse was built in the village, near to the church. The glebe however continued to occupy its former position in this area. Therefore it is likely that the earlier wing and attached dovecote were originally constructed for the minister and built onto the later manse of circa 1840. It is described in the NSA as "an excellent manse ... situated in the south of Walls, about a quarter of a mile from the church". It appears in its present plan-form (including the walled garden and boundary wall) on the 1st Edition OS map of 1881.
Other nearby listed buildings