This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 58.8417 / 58°50'30"N
Longitude: -3.2115 / 3°12'41"W
OS Eastings: 330177
OS Northings: 995552
OS Grid: ND301955
Mapcode National: GBR L5FC.9L3
Mapcode Global: WH6BN.M1X5
Plus Code: 9CCRRQRQ+MC
Entry Name: Walls (Hoy), Millhouse
Listing Date: 31 January 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395764
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48371
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Walls and Flotta
County: Orkney Islands
Electoral Ward: Stromness and South Isles
Parish: Walls And Flotta
Traditional County: Orkney
Mid 19th century with later additions. 2-storey; 3-bay; rectangular-plan house with slightly narrower 20th century single storey addition to NE. Symmetrical design with regularly disposed openings. Main block: coursed rubble. Addition: timber clad in asphalt. Coped gables to main block.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: late 20th century glazed rectangular-plan lean-to porch/conservatory projects to central entrance/to either side to main block; entrance to left return; part-glazed replacement timber door set back within. Flanking windows to each floor and one above. 20th century addition adjoins set back slightly to right. 3 windows.
NW ELEVATION: small central window to each floor to main block. Inserted window to left of ground floor. 20th century addition adjoins set back slightly to left; central entrance with flanking windows.
SW ELEVATION: window to left of gable end of main block.
NE ELEVATION: gable end of 20th century addition projects to gable end of main block (blank).
A combination of 4-pane timber casements and 4-pane timber sash and case windows to main block. Asbestos slate roof to main block (corrugated metal roof to 20th century addition). Gablehead stacks with band courses to either side of main block; round cans.
A comfortable symmetrical farmhouse of mid 19th century date. It appears as 'Millhouse' on the 1881 OS map (presumably because of its proximity to Risa Mill, situated to the SW). It is described as a farmhouse (the property of Mr Heddle Esq of Hoy) in the OS Name Book of circa 1880.
Other nearby listed buildings