This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 58.4405 / 58°26'25"N
Longitude: -3.087 / 3°5'13"W
OS Eastings: 336635
OS Northings: 950759
OS Grid: ND366507
Mapcode National: GBR L6RF.0L3
Mapcode Global: WH6DN.K36R
Plus Code: 9CCRCWR7+65
Entry Name: Harbour Quay, Storehouse Including Curing Yard Wall to Rear (Steven and Co).
Listing Date: 5 February 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395828
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48404
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Wick and East Caithness
Traditional County: Caithness
Circa 1815. Block comprising semi-detached 3-storey, 5-bay, rectangular-plan, symmetrical, gabled storehouses. Coursed Caithness stone slabs.
E (HARBOUR QUAY) ELEVATION: regular fenestration; segmental-arch pend to centre, converted to doorway; doorway to 1st floor above, converted to window; smaller windows to 3rd storey. W (REAR) ELEVATION: irregular fenestration facing curing yard. N (SIDE) ELEVATION: abutting storehouse. S (SIDE) ELEVATION: harled gable end. INTERIOR: converted to modern offices. Plate glass, timber framed windows. Grey slates, lead flashing. Coped gable end stack to S. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
E (HARBOUR QUAY) ELEVATION: harled; regular fenestration to outer left bay. 2 massive lorry entrances slapped to centre and right. W (REAR) ELEVATION: irregular fenestration facing curing yard. N(SIDE) ELEVATION: harled gable end. S (SIDE)ELEVATION: abutting storehouse. INTERIOR: gutted. Plate glass sash and case windows. Grey slates, lead flashing. Coped gable end stacks to S. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
CURING YARD: 2-storey wall running length of side roads. Caithness slab-stone coursers. Blocked regular square windows to 2nd storey. Lean-to roof to ruinous offices facing yard.
The A Group for Lower Pulteneytown comprises; 19-27 Bank Row (Wick Heritage Centre), The Black Stairs, The Round House, Harbour Place, 6, 7 Rose St, Old Fish Market, South Quay, storehouse, Telford Street, 2 Williamson Street.
The Group listing is in recognition of the exceptional group value of these buildings as the core of Thomas Telford's 1809 scheme for the new town plan of Pulteneytown for the British Fisheries Society. For further information see separate listing for the Round House, Harbour Place.
This storehouse displays the best-preserved elevation of a typical Pulteneytown storehouse/curing yard although the interior curing yard has been covered over with corrugated iron roofing to form a haulage depot, hence, the massive slapping to the right hand storehouse elevation. The building materials of stone and slate, and the overall dimensions, height and length, for the storehouses that form the Lower Pulteneytown grid were drawn up by Telford as part of his overall town plan and were laid down in the BFS's Building Regulations. However, the central segmental arched pend that forms the central feature of the storehouses, where remaining, was not specified by Telford but appears to be a practical design that was widely adopted, thereby forming a local design type. The buildings are in effect complete fish processing factories rather than simply storehouses. The original layout, repeated throughout, was of a large gabled storehouse and offices building facing the main street and running the entire length of the feu, i.e. a whole or half block. The central archway led through a pend to a large open air flagstoned curing yard behind. The curing yard was surrounded on the remaining three sides by ancillary stores and workshops such as the salt stores, cooperage and smokeries. From the outside the continuous high walls of the yards, running round the entire block, are reminiscent of prison walls, hiding the industry within. For further information see separate listing for The Round House, Harbour Place.
Other nearby listed buildings