History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ardvreck School Including Sanatorium

A Category B Listed Building in Crieff, Perth and Kinross

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.3834 / 56°23'0"N

Longitude: -3.8463 / 3°50'46"W

OS Eastings: 286095

OS Northings: 722769

OS Grid: NN860227

Mapcode National: GBR 1G.1ZTV

Mapcode Global: WH4MW.WTL8

Entry Name: Ardvreck School Including Sanatorium

Listing Date: 20 February 2002

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 395844

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48424

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Crieff

County: Perth and Kinross

Electoral Ward: Strathearn

Traditional County: Perthshire

Find accommodation in
Crieff

Description

1885; S wing added 1898 subsequently raised to 3-storeys; 20th century extensions to rear. 2-storey and attic and 3-storey, 6-bay school with conical-roofed towers. Squared and snecked rubble with tabbed bull-faced quoins and margins. Basket-arched door. Stone mullions and chamfered arrises.

SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: advanced bays to left with 2 broad towers flanking recessed centre with 2 windows to each floor and 4-part dormer window breaking eaves into catslide roof below centre ridge stack. Ground and 1st floor of each tower with bipartite window to centre and flanking single windows, centre bay rising to piended bipartite dormer window breaking into conical roof. Tower to right with further window to each floor and piended dormer at outer right return. Later set back 3-bay wing (bays grouped 2-1) to right of centre with timber door and plate glass fanlight to left and canted window immediately to right to ground, regular fenestration to each floor above, bay to right rising into gablehead with stack; monogrammed panel (see notes) dated '1898' between upper floors at right and angle tower with 3 windows to each floor beyond.

NW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: variety of elements to asymmetrically-fenestrated elevation including porch to right with panelled timber door, plate glass fanlight and projecting gabled with raised-centre tripartite window; advanced gable to outer left; canted oriel and piended dormer windows.

SE AND NE ELEVATIONS: altered elevations.

Plate glass glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped and shouldered ashlar stacks with cans. Overhanging eaves; decorative cast-iron finials to towers.

INTERIOR: plain cornicing; boarded dadoes; carved timber fire surrounds; architraved doors and timber dog-leg staircase with turned balusters and newel posts. Dining room with panelled dadoes, compartmentalised ceiling; World War I and II Memorials. Some dormitories retain timber bed divisions. Timber pews from former St Columbus Church.

SANATORIUM: single and 2-storey, irregular U-plan former sanatorium now converted to staff accommodation, on ground falling steeply to W. Squared and snecked rubble with some Aberdeen bond; bull-faced dressings.

E WING: single storey wing.

W ELEVATION: segmental-headed door under decoratively-timbered dormer gablet in bay to right of centre, single window beyond and conical-roofed angle tower with window at outer right; tripartite window in bay to left.

N WING: single storey.

S ELEVATION: 3 windows.

W WING: 2-storey wing with rounded elevation to S.

W ELEVATION: gabled bay to centre with panelled timber door to ground and window above, small window to left at ground and bipartite to right.

S ELEVATION: bipartite window to ground with 3 windows above.

2-, 6-pane and plate glazing patterns to upper sashes over plate glass lower in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with some cans. Overhanging eaves with exposed rafters and plain bargeboarding.

Statement of Interest

Initially known as 'Dalvreck', the school was founded in 1883 by W E Frost. By 1894 the name had been changed to 'Ardvreck' and the library and dormitory wing were added in 1898. An early photograph of the 'semi-jubilee celebrations' shows the above-mentioned extension, prior to addition of a 2nd floor, with the monogrammed panel in a gablehead over the 1st floor window off-centre left.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.