This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.3701 / 56°22'12"N
Longitude: -3.8381 / 3°50'17"W
OS Eastings: 286561
OS Northings: 721273
OS Grid: NN865212
Mapcode National: GBR 1H.2MQ5
Mapcode Global: WH5P7.04LX
Entry Name: Broich Terrace, Gowrie House Including Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 20 February 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395846
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48426
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Strathearn
Traditional County: Perthshire
Dated 1869. 2-storey, 3-bay house (now subdivided) with Italianate detail. Squared and snecked rubble with contrasting ashlar dressings. Raked cills, column mullions with decorative capitals.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: bay to centre with portico with slated piend-and-platform roof and brattishing, 2-leaf timber door with deep plate glass fanlight and small bipartite window at 1st floor; bay to left with wide-centre tripartite window at ground (satellite dish beyond to left) giving way to small cast-iron canopy with brattishing and 1st floor bipartite breaking eaves into anthemion-finialled gabled dormerhead; similarly-finialled advanced gable to right of centre with bowed tripartite window at ground (roof as that of porch) and bipartite above.
W ELEVATION: M-gable to right with tall bipartite at ground left and 2 windows at 1st floor; lower bays to left with altered door at right below small window and bipartite to left with single window above breaking eaves into gabled dormerhead.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: gabled bay to right with window at 1st floor, altered bay immediately to left with small window to each floor and broad bay to left with 2 windows at ground, bays linked by pedestrian door at centre.
E ELEVATION: window to each floor of gabled left bay, further window to ground centre with bipartite above and lower advanced gabled bay to right with 2 windows at ground and single window to centre above.
Plate glass glazing in timber sash and case windows; modern glazing to bowed window at S, E, N and to W right. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with tall circular cans. Overhanging eaves with exposed rafters and plain bargeboarding. Square-section cast-iron downpipes with decorative fixings and dated rainwater hoppers.
INTERIOR: screen door with etched glass.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: semicircular-coped rubble boundary walls; square-section ashlar gatepiers with carved anthemion band and cap with patera detail.
In 1901 Gowrie House was owned by Malcolm Finlay, solicitor.
Other nearby listed buildings