This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.3747 / 56°22'29"N
Longitude: -3.8437 / 3°50'37"W
OS Eastings: 286229
OS Northings: 721796
OS Grid: NN862217
Mapcode National: GBR 1H.26FY
Mapcode Global: WH4N2.X1VC
Entry Name: Comrie Road, Leven House Hotel Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 20 February 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395871
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48448
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Strathearn
Traditional County: Perthshire
Early 19th century and dated 1879. 2-part terraced hotel of 2-storey and attic 4-bay house with nepus gable and taller 2-bay block with corbelled oriel window and 2nd Empire roof. Squared and snecked rubble with ashlar quoin strips and dressings. Base and eaves courses. Stone mullions.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 4 original bays to right, door immediately to right of centre with keystoned, ball-finialled round-headed doorpiece with fielded panels/blocked lights? to flanking pilasters and semicircular plate glass fanlight, windows in flanking bays and regular fenestration over these 3 bays, later bipartite window to each floor at outer left; nepus gable with 2 small windows rising over centre bays and flanked by slate-hung bipartite dormers. 2 later bays to left with window to left of centre and adjacent boarded timber door with plate glass fanlight beyond, these flanking base of corbelled canted oriel at 1st floor giving way to 3-part, round-headed dormer window with decorative mouldings and keystones; bay to right of centre with further door, plate glass fanlight and flanking embossed metal signs worded 'LEVEN HOUSE BOARD AND RESIDENCE' to left and adjacent window to right, single window to 1st floor and single dormer (detailed as above) over.
E (REAR) ELEVATION: variety of elements to stepped elevation including piended projection to left of centre and 3 round-headed dormers (as above) with shouldered wallhead stack to right.
N ELEVATION: gabled bay to centre with tall stair window and broad gablehead stack.
4-pane and plate glass glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows; margined, 4-pane stair window. Grey slates, diamond pattern to empire roof SW. Coped ashlar stacks with cans. Ashlar-coped skews with moulded skewputts and decorative cast-iron downpipes with dated decorative rainwater hopper and fixings. Profiled guttering.
INTERIOR: not seen 2001.
BOUNDARY WALLS: semicircular-coped rubble boundary walls.
In 1901 Leven House Temperance Hotel was owned by Charles Anderson, plumber and occupied by Misses Janet and Elizabeth Miller.
Other nearby listed buildings