This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.3786 / 56°22'43"N
Longitude: -3.8434 / 3°50'36"W
OS Eastings: 286257
OS Northings: 722227
OS Grid: NN862222
Mapcode National: GBR 1H.20HV
Mapcode Global: WH4MW.XXYY
Plus Code: 9C8R95H4+CJ
Entry Name: 32 Drummond Terrace, St Oswald's Including Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Gates
Listing Date: 20 February 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395877
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48458
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Strathearn
Traditional County: Perthshire
Possibly John Murray Robertson, 1899, with 1903 (dated) addition. 2-storey and basement with single storey, 4-bay, L-plan, mock half-timbered gabled house sited on ground falling steeply to SW. Bull-faced ashlar with squared rubble, red sandstone ashlar dressings. Ground floor cill course. Some tabbed margins. Round-headed roll-moulded doorpiece. Stone mullions and stop-chamfered arrises.
SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2-storey bays to left with tall single storey bays to right. Full-height polygonal-roofed canted bay to left of centre with bipartite window at basement and 4-light window to each floor above; rectangular-plan bay to outer left with horizontally-aligned wide-centre tripartite at basement, further wide-centre tripartite to each floor above, that to 1st floor breaking eaves into gablehead. Bipartite window in bay to right of centre, bay to outer right with large canted 4-light window under blocking course breaking eaves into gablehead.
NE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: bay to left of centre with ball-finialled, semicircular-pedimented doorpiece, inset panel on tympanum with relief carved 'WDP' '1903', panelled timber door and semicircular fanlight, 2 widely spaced windows beyond to left; asymmetrically-fenestrated, advanced and stepped 2-storey bays to right.
NW ELEVATION: variety of elements to stepped elevation including slate-roofed rectangular-plan decoratively-astragalled 5-light window over basement door to outer right at ground.
SE ELEVATION: blank single storey gabled elevation.
Plate glass glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped and neck-banded red brick stacks with some cans. Overhanging eaves with plain bargeboarding. Decorative cast-iron finials.
INTERIOR: plain cornices; timber dog-leg staircase; brass sash lifts; some parquet floors. Panelled billiard room with timber fire surround, boarded timber roof and decoratively-astragalled cupola.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: semicircular-coping to rubble boundary walls, coped square-section ashlar gatepiers and decorative cast-iron gates.
Possibly built as a shooting lodge for William Delisle Powell from 40 Sussex Gardens, London. The present (2001) owner has imported fireplaces to replace those removed during the mid 20th century. A basement room had approximately 100 hooks situated at picture rail height, probably for hanging game. Attributed to John Murray Robertson owing to details in common with other examples of the architect's work, notably The Bughties, Camphill Road, Broughty Ferry, and Knowehead, Ferntower Road, Crieff.
Other nearby listed buildings