This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.3701 / 56°22'12"N
Longitude: -3.8503 / 3°51'1"W
OS Eastings: 285806
OS Northings: 721294
OS Grid: NN858212
Mapcode National: GBR 1G.2QYV
Mapcode Global: WH4N2.T4PX
Entry Name: Ford Road, Cemetery Including Triumphal Arches, Boundary Walls, Gatepiers, Gates and Fountain
Listing Date: 20 February 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395890
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48470
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Strathearn
Traditional County: Perthshire
Cemetery opened 1858, extended 1881.
GRAVESTONES: variety of classical and gothic monuments with some obelisk and Celtic cross memorials, including:
White marble Celtic cross 'Sacred to the memory of Charlotte Mara Wood beloved wife of Sir William F A Elliott 8th Baronet of Stobs, Roxburghshire, who died at Ruberslaw, Crieff 29th November 1878'. 3-stage obelisk on base with inscription 'In memoriam Daniel Robertson Esq of Dalnaglar/The first and for 30 years able and successful general manager of the National Provincial Bank of England'.
Small monument surmounted by posy of carved stone flowers 'Erected by James and Elizabeth Gowans in memory of their son John. Born on the 19th and died on the 25th April 1858'.
TRIUMPHAL ARCHES: large ashlar blocks, voussoirs and keystones. Pair of flat-coped triumphal arches flanking entrance to earliest garden with low flat-coped walls punctuated with squat pyramidally-coped ashlar piers.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: rubble boundary walls with gablet-coped ashlar pedestrian entrance and decorative cast-iron gate immediately W of main gate with large flat-coped rectangular-plan harl and brick gatepiers and 2-leaf decorative ironwork gates.
FOUNTAIN: 1887. Decorative cast-iron 4-stage fountain by 'George Smith & Co/Sun Foundry/Glasgow' sited at centre of 1858 garden. Circular fountain base at centre of large polygonal plinth planted with flowers. Plain 1st stage giving way to reduced columnar 2nd stage with 3 storks variously posed at base of flower stem with trumpet basin, 3rd stage much smaller version of 2nd (without birds) giving way to further reduced final stage of small stem surmounted by further bird.
In 1854 a 'Scotch acre' for use as a cemetery was feued from Lord and Lady Willoughby. James Sharp, who died in 1858, was the first burial. By 1881 more land was needed and a further half acre was given by Lady Willoughby.
Other nearby listed buildings