This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.373 / 56°22'22"N
Longitude: -3.8437 / 3°50'37"W
OS Eastings: 286223
OS Northings: 721607
OS Grid: NN862216
Mapcode National: GBR 1H.2DFG
Mapcode Global: WH4N2.X2TP
Entry Name: Galvelmore Street, Galvelmore House Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 20 February 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395898
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48474
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Strathearn
Traditional County: Perthshire
Mid 19th century, raised and altered to rear circa 1900 (see Notes). Tall partly 3-storey (originally 2-storey) with basement, 3-bay gabled house. Squared and snecked rubble with ashlar quoin strips and raised margins. Stone mullions.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Centre bay at ground with corniced, pilastered and concave-moulded doorcase, deep-set panelled timber door and plate glass fanlight, flat-roofed canted windows with brattishing to flanking bays, regular fenestration to 1st floor and small corbelled cornice to low centre bay above, round-headed bipartite windows in finialled gableheads of outer bays. Corbelled corniced skewputt details.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: extended 2-storey and attic elevation with raised basement projecting. Variety of elements including canted bay altered to incorporate centre projection, stair window and 2 piended canted dormers (see Notes).
N ELEVATION: largely blank gabled bay with lean-to boarded timber porch on ashlar base with multi-pane leaded glazing to 3 windows and similarly glazed upper panels to timber door on left return.
S ELEVATION: asymmetrically-fenestrated gabled elevation with small brick extension to right of centre.
4-, 12-pane and plate glass glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with full complement of polygonal cans. Overhanging eaves with plain bargeboarding. Decorative cast-iron finials.
INTERIOR: plain cornices and timber fireplaces. Ground floor sitting room with later timber panels and gothic stone fireplace. Timber dog-leg staircase with barley-twist balusters and carved newels, and further 2nd floor staircase with decorative cast-iron balusters.
BOUNDARY WALLS: semicircular-coped rubble boundary walls. Carved panel set into N wall 'This garden wall is erected on the property of Thomas McComish 1812'.
Owing to the existence of a panel dated '1812' in the garden wall, it may be that there was an earlier house on the site. The current owner reports that the 2nd storey front gables are additions. Certainly, the unusual semi-piended roof and dormers at rear indicate a possible change from a traditional piended rectangle. The property originally extended westward into Burrell Street with stabling opposite. It may be that described by Porteous as "the house with door-pillars" which was occupied early in the 19th century by Mr John Tainsh, writer, who operated a branch of the Leith Bank from the house. By 1856 it was the home of James MacRosty, solicitor and agent for the City of Glasgow Bank.
Other nearby listed buildings