This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.3752 / 56°22'30"N
Longitude: -3.833 / 3°49'58"W
OS Eastings: 286890
OS Northings: 721827
OS Grid: NN868218
Mapcode National: GBR 1H.28VY
Mapcode Global: WH5P7.3101
Entry Name: Perth Road and Rectory Road, the Old Rectory and Rectory Cottage Including Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Gates
Listing Date: 20 February 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395921
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48497
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Strathearn
Traditional County: Perthshire
Probably Robert Ewan, Glasgow; dated 1870. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay gothic rectory with gabled dormerheads. Narrow bands of bull-faced rubble with contrasting ashlar dressings. Base and band courses, and corbelled eaves course. Shouldered-arch door, pointed-arch, tabbed window openings. Stone mullions and chamfered arrises.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: centre bay with stone porch in re-entrant angle, 9-panelled timber door with plate glass fanlight angled to E, dated panel in finialled gablehead above, lancets to flanking returns and single window at 1st floor breaking eaves into steeply-pitched dormerhead; bipartites to each floor of bay to right, that to 1st floor smaller and breaking eaves as above. Broad advanced gable to left with canted window at ground and bipartite above, glazed arrowslit in gablehead.
SW ELEVATION: slightly advanced chimney gable to centre with bipartite window (light to right altered to door) to ground, smaller bipartite to 1st floor and carved cross in panel above flanked by shaped gablehead moulding giving way to shouldered stack. Glazed door immediately to right in re-entrant angle and tiny window to left, single window to each floor of bay to left that to 1st floor breaking eaves as above.
NE (RECTORY ROAD) ELEVATION: gabled elevation with centre full-height stepped chimney breast with carved panel to 1st floor, window to each floor at right and Rectory Cottage (listed separately) beyond to right.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: gabled elevation with square-headed window to left at each floor, small modern conservatory at right.
Modern glazing throughout. Graded grey slates, diamond-pattern to porch and canted window. Banded coped ashlar stacks; ashlar-coped stepped skews (giving appearance of crowsteps) with moulded and mitre skewputts and decorative gablehead finials. Cast-iron square-section downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.
INTERIOR: decorative plasterwork cornices and rose; panelled shutters and architraved doors. Dog-leg staircase with gothic cast-iron balusters and timber handrail.
RECTORY COTTAGE: single storey, 3-bay, salted cottage with modern windows. Squared and snecked rubble with ashlar dressings. Shouldered openings. Corbel course. Stone mullions and chamfered arrises.
NE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: centre bay with small pitch-roofed stone porch, boarded timber door with decorative ironwork hinges and small square fanlight in gablehead, single window in bay to right and bipartite to left. 2 triangular dormer windows flanking later small flat-roofed dormer grouped to right above, small square rooflight to left.
NW ELEVATION: low lean-to bay with boarded timber door to right and small square opening immediately to left.
SW ELEVATION: single window with The Old Rectory adjoining at right.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: ashlar-coped stepped rubble boundary walls with square-section, gablet-coped ashlar gatepiers and decorative ironwork gates.
Formerly the parsonage to St Columba's Scottish Episcopalian Church of 1875 by Robert Ewan. Built at a cost of some ?2400 largely provided by Sir Patrick Keith Murray of Ochtertyre with ?500 raised by the congregation. The church was demolished during the later twentieth century, and the rectory sold in 1985. Fireplaces now in the principal ground floor rooms were imported from an 1870 house in Dunbar. The architect, originally from Aberdeen, also designed Crieff Hydro Hotel (1867), and taking into account stylistic similarities, was probably the author of 'Croftweit' in Strathearn Terrace.
Other nearby listed buildings