This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.377 / 56°22'37"N
Longitude: -3.8514 / 3°51'5"W
OS Eastings: 285760
OS Northings: 722064
OS Grid: NN857220
Mapcode National: GBR 1G.24QZ
Mapcode Global: WH4MW.TZ55
Entry Name: Turretbank Road, West March Including Priest's Walk
Listing Date: 20 February 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395925
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48500
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Strathearn
Traditional County: Perthshire
Re-working dated 1868 of earlier house (see Notes). Single and 2-storey, 3-bay former manse. Squared and snecked rubble (see Notes) with tabbed raised ashlar margins. Chamfered and stop-chamfered arrises.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: broad advanced gable to left with window to each floor and relief carved datestone in gablehead; small gabled porch with timber door and plate glass fanlight angled to NE in re-entrant to centre, window above and further window to each floor at right.
S ELEVATION: gable extending almost to full width of elevation, stopping short of right bay, with window to each floor at left and diamond panel in gablehead, further window to each floor at outer right. Single storey bay to outer left with pedimented window breaking eaves to centre and narrow window to right.
N ELEVATION: gabled bay with windows to right at ground, to left at 1st floor and blind arrowslit in gablehead. Further window in set-back single storey bay to outer right.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: variety of elements to asymmetrical elevation including 2 lower projecting pitch-roofed wings.
4-pane and plate glass glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks. Overhanging eaves and plain bargeboarding.
PRIEST'S WALK TO N: segmental-headed boarded timber door to NE boundary leading to vaulted cellar formerly entrance to Priest's Walk (see Notes).
Formerly 'West Manse', the house was sold in 1955 when congregations from the West and North Churches joined. It is built on (or close to) the site of a 12th century monastery, with rubble reclaimed from 12 weaver's cottages formerly lining the banks of the River Turret. The New Statistical Account mentions a manse built in 1701 but in need of repair. West March may be the building referred to as though no direction is indicated, the old manse was "very inconveniently situated at the distance of more than a mile from the town". Bounded to the NE by approaches to the separately listed Bridge of Turret, the manse was formerly accessible from a tunnel below the busy drover's road. This 'walk' was used until the installation of piped water.
Other nearby listed buildings