History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Comely Bank Road, St Stephen's Church (Church of Scotland) and Hall

A Category C Listed Building in Inverleith, Edinburgh

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9599 / 55°57'35"N

Longitude: -3.2185 / 3°13'6"W

OS Eastings: 324026

OS Northings: 674769

OS Grid: NT240747

Mapcode National: GBR 8HC.K0

Mapcode Global: WH6SL.JGMD

Entry Name: Comely Bank Road, St Stephen's Church (Church of Scotland) and Hall

Listing Date: 12 March 2002

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 395956

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48534

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: Inverleith

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Granton

Description

JN Scott and A Lorne Campbell, 1901. Gothic church with pitch-roofed nave, lower pitch-roofed transepts and flat-roofed aisles; piend-roofed single storey hall complex with gothic windows to rear. Squared and snecked bull-faced red sandstone with polished dressings. Chamfered openings; angle buttresses.

S ELEVATION: steps to 2 2-leaf timber-panelled doors with decorative iron hinges in pointed-arched openings, contained in segmental-arched frame, flanked by small rectangular windows; large 6-light Tudor-arched window above. Decorative finials to gable.

E AND W ELEVATIONS: tall 2-light windows lighting aisles and smaller 3-light clerestorey windows lighting nave. 2 3-light windows to transepts. Flat-roofed porch (see Notes) to W with 2-leaf timber boarded door with decorative metal hinges in Tudor-arched surround. Polygonal stair tower to SE with small rectangular windows.

INTERIOR: compartmented hammerbeam roof. Tudor arches to aisles. Timber gallery to rear. Fixed pews. Curved reredos and dado panelling behind Elders' seating and recessed organ. Gothic communion table and font. Organ by JJ Binns of Leeds, 1902. Stained glass: 3-light window in W transept (War Memorial) by R Douglas McLundie of the Abbey Studio; E transept: 3-light window by George Garson, Edinburgh College of Art, 1968.

HALL COMPLEX: 2-leaf timber boarded door in pointed-arched surround flanked by 2-light gothic windows; swept-roofed ventilator to roof.

Perpendicular tracery and leaded glass to windows of church; 6-pane glazing with top hoppers to hall complex. Cast-iron down pipe with decorative hopper to hall. Stone skews. Grey slates.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building still in use as such. Prominently sited church, built for the former Wemyss Place United Free congregation, following a competition. The porch between the wide nave and the W transept was intended as the base of a tower.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.