RM Cameron, 1899, with later additions (see Notes). Free Style gothic church with transepts to north and south, on corner site to London Road and Marionville Road. Squared and snecked grey sandstone with red sandstone dressings. Moulded string course to gallery level. Broad, bracketed eaves. Long and short quoins; tabbed surrounds to windows. Bays divided by buttresses with long and short quoins. WEST ELEVATION: cross-finialled gable to west between 2 finialled, pyramidally-roofed square-plan towers with crenellated parapets and canon spouts. 2-leaf timber-boarded door with leaded fanlight over in moulded pointed-arched doorpiece flanked by lancets; 6-light window in ogee-arched surround above; arrow-slit to gable; 3-light windows to upper level of towers. SOUTH ELEVATION: projecting gabled south transept to right with bipartite windows to ground, 2 hoodmoulded 2-light windows in pointed-arched surrounds above and arrow-slit to gable. Bipartite windows to 3 bays of nave at ground and gallery levels. South elevation of stair tower to left. South elevation of later hall adjoining to outer right with crenellated parapet. NORTH ELEVATION: projecting gabled north transept to left with bipartite windows to ground, 2 hoodmoulded 2-light windows in pointed-arched surrounds above and arrow-slit to gable. Bipartite windows to 3 bays of nave at ground and gallery levels . North elevation of stair tower to right. North elevation of flat-roofed hall adjoining to outer left. EAST ELEVATION: later flat-roofed hall adjoining at ground level. Rose window above; arrow-slit to gable. Geometric tracery to leaded glass windows. Grey slates; decorative red ridge tiles. Gabletted skews. Louvred lantern to ridge. INTERIOR: compartmented ceiling. Arcaded nave with timber-panelled gallery supported on cast iron columns to south, west and north. Timber pews. Timber steps to pulpit to east with cusped and crocketed timber housing to organ above (EF Walcker of Ludwigsburg, 1901). 2 stained glass lights to S, War Memorial (John Blyth, 1927). Stairs to galleries in towers.
Statement of Interest
Ecclesiastical building still in use as such. Built for the congregation of Abbeyhill United Presbyterian Church. Currently known as Meadowbank Church (2019). The church occupies an important corner site, the west elevation effective seen as travelling eastwards out of Edinburgh, the south elevation linking visually to similarly detailed buildings to east. The later church hall is constructed of the same materials.