This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8655 / 55°51'55"N
Longitude: -3.9803 / 3°58'49"W
OS Eastings: 276168
OS Northings: 665361
OS Grid: NS761653
Mapcode National: GBR 00NM.27
Mapcode Global: WH4QB.TTTT
Plus Code: 9C7RV289+5V
Entry Name: Broomknoll Street, Ebenezer Congregational Chapel
Listing Date: 21 March 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395972
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48545
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Airdrie Central
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
James Thomson, 1888, incorporating earlier fabric. Plain, gabled gothic church, corner tower with spire. Squared and snecked yellow sandstone courses. Base course, continuous cill course to ground and gallery windows, stopped hoodmould to openings. Lancet windows, chamfered reveals.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: pointed arch entrance to centre; 2-leaf timber door, decorative cast-iron lamp bracket over; tall, narrow lancet to right, clasped buttress to outer right, stepped 3-light lancet to gablehead. Slightly recessed 3-stage, square-plan bell tower to right: paired small lancets to ground, clasped buttress to outer left; arrowslit to 2nd stage; tall louvered lancet to 3rd stage; corbelled moulded wallhead to spire, gabled louvers, cast-iron weathervane finial.
E (REAR) ELEVATION: blind gable end, narrow 2-storey gabled addition to centre, square, louvered vent to gablehead. Date stone inscribed 'EBENEZER CHAPEL 1839' to outer right.
N (SIDE) ELEVATION: 5-bay, tall lancet windows, corner tower to outer right. '1839' date stone to quoin to outer left.
S (SIDE) ELEVATION: obscured by abutting modern church hall.
Square pane-leaded windows to W elevation, modern, geometric glass blocks to sides. Grey slates, lead flashing. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Coped skews.
INTERIOR: not seen 2001.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. The present building replaced the original chapel of 1839, which was built as a secession from Wellwynd Parish Church (see separate listing), and incorporates some earlier fabric including two date stones. James Thomson (1822-98) was a local architect who first trained in draughtsmanship at night classes in Coatbridge before obtaining his architectural diploma in Edinburgh in 1846. Thomson was also responsible for Airdrie Market, Hallcraig Street and the former Royal Bank of Scotland building, Bank Street (see separate listings).
Other nearby listed buildings