This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9193 / 55°55'9"N
Longitude: -4.3319 / 4°19'54"W
OS Eastings: 254370
OS Northings: 672037
OS Grid: NS543720
Mapcode National: GBR 3P.00BB
Mapcode Global: WH3NV.FHF1
Entry Name: 6 Roman Road Including Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Gates
Listing Date: 25 April 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396024
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48604
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Dunbartonshire
Electoral Ward: Bearsden South
Traditional County: Dunbartonshire
Dated 1902. Single and 2-storey, 8-bay (bays grouped 1-3-1-2) finely-detailed steel-framed Jacobethan house with Arts and Crafts interior. Harled with sandstone ashlar dressings, quoins strips and some raised margins. Some cill courses. Stone-pedimented windowheads, moulded keystones; stone transoms and mullions.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: projecting gabled bay to right of centre with step up to roll-moulded doorpiece dated '1902' giving way to decoratively-pedimented doorhead with barley-twist pilasters flanking cartouche with 'DJS' monogramme abutting widely-spaced bipartite
stair window and heraldic shield to stone panel in finialled gablehead; single window (with coloured glass) immediately to left at ground. Asymmetrically-disposed windows to right return and outer right bay; 2 bipartites (that to right with coloured glass) with single window beyond to left bays at ground and 3 1st floor windows breaking eaves into shaped pediments with relief carved rose, thistle and shamrock. Advanced conically-roofed tower-like bay to left with window to each floor and further window to right return. Single storey bay to outer left.
W ELEVATION: gabled elevation with window to left at 1st floor and conical-roofed bowed bay (see S elevation) clasping outer right angle.
S (GARDEN) ELEVATION: 7-bay elevation with broad tripartite to each floor of conical-roofed bowed bays clasping outer angles;
centre bays with pedimented windowheads breaking eaves, each with 6-light transomed window at ground, that to right in flat-roofed canted bay; regular fenestration to remaining bays (that to ground left with coloured glass), and single storey piended bay set-back to outer right.
E (HORSE SHORE LANE) ELEVATION: gabled elevation with window to right at 1st floor over piended single storey projection.
Small-pane glazing patterns, some over plate glass lower sashes, all in timber sash and case windows; some Art Nouveau style leaded coloured glass (see above). Grey slates. Brick-coped harled stacks with full-complement of cans. Ashlar-coped skews with moulded skewputts, some finialled. Cast-iron cockerel finial to tower at NE and animal head carvings to mouldings at base of stacks.
INTERIOR: fine decorative scheme in place including decorative plasterwork cornicing and carved timber fire surrounds with overmantels incorporated into panelling. Timber-panelled stairhall with circular Art Nouveau style glass panels to some inner doors, keystoned ashlar fireplace and timber-balustered dog-leg staircase and square newels with open carved tops. 1st floor bedroom with timber fire surround, overmantel and early Art Deco style glazed ceramic tiles.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: ashlar-coped, ball-finialled harled boundary walls and quadrant walls with inset stone balusters, ball-finialled square-section ashlar gatepiers and decorative ironwork gates. Brick boundary walls with glazed terracotta tile coping.
Thought to have been built by D J Stewart, owner of an engineering company, the house is probably that known originally as 'Stewartbrae'.
Other nearby listed buildings