History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Muirs, St Paul's Episcopal Church Including Boundary Walls and Piers

A Category B Listed Building in Kinross, Perth and Kinross

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.2114 / 56°12'41"N

Longitude: -3.4249 / 3°25'29"W

OS Eastings: 311716

OS Northings: 703009

OS Grid: NO117030

Mapcode National: GBR 1Z.DQHP

Mapcode Global: WH6RB.C4BK

Entry Name: The Muirs, St Paul's Episcopal Church Including Boundary Walls and Piers

Listing Date: 9 May 2002

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 396034

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48623

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Kinross

County: Perth and Kinross

Electoral Ward: Kinross-shire

Traditional County: Kinross-shire

Find accommodation in
Kinross

Description

1875. Gothic-detailed, squat rectangular-plan aisless church with 5-bay nave, N transept and distinguishing polygonal 4-stage belltower with belfry. Squared and snecked bull-faced rubble with ashlar dressings. Deep ashlar base course, moulded cill course and eaves course. Hoodmoulded pointed-arch openings with human and animal-head label stops; raked cills, stepped chamfered reveals and stone mullions.

W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: broad gabled elevation with raised-centre tripartite window and belltower (see below) projecting to outer left.

BELLTOWER: polygonal stone tower with each stage reducing. Deep plinth giving way to 1st stage with window at NW; 2nd and 3rd stages blank, and 4th stage with open-arcaded belfry giving way to stone roof and decorative cast-iron finial.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: nave elevation with stop-chamfered moulded doorway and boarded timber door to small gabled and stone-finialled porch at left with glazed trefoil to each return; 4 windows to centre and 3 diminutive triangular roof vents above; lower set-back chancel bay to outer right.

E ELEVATION: raised-centre tripartite window to broad gable and stone-cross finial to taller gable behind; single window to slightly set-back narrower gable at right.

N ELEVATION: raised-centre tripartite to transeptal gable at left and door to vestry at outer left; 3 windows to set-back nave at right and tower (see above) at outer right.

Diamond-pattern leaded multi-pane glazing patterns; coloured glass see INTERIOR. Graded grey slates. Stepped ashlar-coped skews with triangular skewputts. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.

INTERIOR: fixed timber pews, boarded dadoes, tessellated floor and high open-timbered roof on stone corbels. Chancel with carved aumbry, stall and Communion table. Delicate ironwork to pulpit; pipe organ to N transept; octagonal stone font. Brass mural monument to Kathleen Anderson, Guider who drowned saving a Girl Guide at St Andrews, 1929. Coloured glass including figurative memorial window to E dedicated to 'Thomas Henry Montgomery of Haltonburn, 1879'; W window installed during 1950s; single lights include

'St Margaret' signed Douglas Hamilton, Glasgow and 'St Andrew'.

BOUNDARY WALLS AND PIERS: low saddleback-coped boundary walls with mitre-coped square-section ashlar piers to W and semicircular-coped rubble boundary walls elsewhere.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. According to Groome, St Paul's was not consecrated until 1881. The timber used in the interior is thought to have come from local estates.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.