This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.3194 / 56°19'9"N
Longitude: -4.084 / 4°5'2"W
OS Eastings: 271206
OS Northings: 716058
OS Grid: NN712160
Mapcode National: GBR 16.5SK2
Mapcode Global: WH4N5.7FHC
Entry Name: Drummond Estate, Glen Artney Church (Church of Scotland)
Listing Date: 9 May 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396035
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48624
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Strathearn
Traditional County: Perthshire
Circa 1905 (see Notes). Rectangular-plan aisleless church with gables porch and altered battered fleche. Squared and snecked rubble with some Aberdeen bond; ashlar dressings. Pointed-arch openings, some windows with trefoil-headed tracery. Voussoirs; raked cills and stone mullions.
N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: advanced gabled porch with half-timbered gablehead in bay to right, steps with flanking dwarf walls leading to deeply moulded doorway with 2-leaf panelled timber door and trefoil-headed window to right return. Similarly-detailed gabled bay to left with double lancet.
S ELEVATION: 2 trefoil-headed windows to left and double lancet breaking eaves into swept gablehead at right.
GABLE ELEVATION with 3-light window set into pointed-arch frame.
W ELEVATION: gabled elevation with 2 tall lancets.
Multi-pane leaded glazing pattern with coloured margins (boarded up for winter(?) 2002). Grey slates. Swept roof with overhanging eaves and plain bargeboarding.
INTERIOR: good decorative scheme in place with hammerbeam roof, fixed timber pews and boarded dadoes. Panelled Chancel with carved pulpit and low fretwork screen.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Services apparently take place fortnightly from May to October. The above-mentioned newspaper article offers two dates for this building, the most probable (it says) being 1866 when Baroness Willoughby de Eresby funded the building of Glen Artney Lodge, Blairinroar and Muthill Schools. Alternatively it gives 1905. The latter is probably correct as the church does not appear on either the First
Edition Ordnance Survey Map of 1861, or the Second Edition of 1901. Stone for the church is thought to have been brought from Doune by railway to Greenloaning Station and then by horse and cart.