This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.4808 / 56°28'51"N
Longitude: -3.4503 / 3°27'1"W
OS Eastings: 310772
OS Northings: 733024
OS Grid: NO107330
Mapcode National: GBR V6.LLCB
Mapcode Global: WH5NT.ZC5K
Entry Name: Stanley, Perth Road, St Columba's Episcopal Church
Listing Date: 9 May 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396037
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48626
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Strathtay
Traditional County: Perthshire
Speirs & Company, Glasgow, 1898. Small, rectangular-plan, aisless timber church with 4-bay nave and steeply-pitched roof, in English half-timbered style. Boarded timber. Cusped, timber-mullioned windows.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: gabled porch to outer left with 2-leaf, trefoil-headed timber door and decorative ironwork door furniture, narrow flanking lights and tripartite window to each return; 4-light windows to 2 centre bays and further bipartite to outer right.
E ELEVATION: broad gabled elevation with stepped 5-light window and timber cross-finial.
N ELEVATION: outer left bay with gabled projection with tripartite window and timber door on right return, 4-light windows to 2 centre bays and bipartite to outer right abutting small lean-to timber projection.
W ELEVATION: part-blocked 3-light window to gabled elevation abutting rectangular-plan, rubble church hall (see Notes).
Multi-pane leaded glazing pattern, some coloured and margined. Graded grey slates. Coped ashlar stack; overhanging eaves and plain bargeboarding.
INTERIOR: original interior with open-timbered roof, boarded dadoes and raised chancel with altar rails. Fine canopied rector's chair; altar with Dossal reredos; octagonal stone font.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Haynes mentions a 'tall fleche' but only the base remains. During the late 19th century an influx of mill workers from England, all of whom were required to attend church on Sundays in order to retain their employment at the Stanley Mills, escalated the need for an Episcopalian Church. The building of St Columba's commenced in 1897, at which time services were held in the Temperance Hall in East Brougham Street, and the church was opened on 7th July, 1898 by the Rev G H Wilkinson, Bishop of the United Diocese. A dedication service took place on 17th August, 1898. A new organ, funded by Mrs Esme Burges, was installed during the 1960s. At the time of listing (2002) the church hall, sited to the rear at right angles, built 1907 and closed before 1970, is in a poor state of repair.
Other nearby listed buildings