History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stanley, Perth Road, War Memorial Including Boundary Walls, Gatepiers, Gates and Railings

A Category C Listed Building in Redgorton, Perth and Kinross

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.4811 / 56°28'51"N

Longitude: -3.4502 / 3°27'0"W

OS Eastings: 310778

OS Northings: 733050

OS Grid: NO107330

Mapcode National: GBR V6.LLDB

Mapcode Global: WH5NT.ZC6C

Entry Name: Stanley, Perth Road, War Memorial Including Boundary Walls, Gatepiers, Gates and Railings

Listing Date: 9 May 2002

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 396038

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48627

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Redgorton

County: Perth and Kinross

Electoral Ward: Strathtay

Traditional County: Perthshire

Find accommodation in
Stanley

Description

1924. First World War memorial. 3-stage plinth surmounted by pedestrian soldier. Second World War roll-of-honour added. Ashlar. 3 reducing steps surmounted by swept rectangular-plan 1st stage plinth giving way to uncut stone 2nd stage bearing bronze plaques; battered 3rd stage also with bronze plaques, that to E inscribed 'TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY OF OUR BELOVED DEAD' and surmounted by kilted soldier leaning against rock.

BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS, GATES AND RAILINGS: low ashlar boundary walls with inset railings; square-

plan gatepiers and 2-leaf ironwork gates.

Statement of Interest

Sited in enclosed area next to St Columba's Church. In 1922 ex-servicemen from Stanley with Captain W Elliott of the Church Army decided to raise a memorial to the fallen of World War I. Funds were raised, with a large donation from the nearby St Columba's Episcopal Church. The memorial was unveiled in 1924 by Dr Laura Sandeman of Aberdeen, eldest daughter of Colonel Frank Stewart Sandeman, former owner of Stanley Mill. A World

War II commemorative plaque was added on 24 April 1949 and unveiled by

Sir Thomas Riddell Webster then President of British Legion Scotland.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.