History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Union Street, Kirkintilloch Town Hall

A Category B Listed Building in Kirkintilloch, East Dunbartonshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9401 / 55°56'24"N

Longitude: -4.1584 / 4°9'30"W

OS Eastings: 265284

OS Northings: 673999

OS Grid: NS652739

Mapcode National: GBR 13.YMS3

Mapcode Global: WH4PW.3Y2M

Entry Name: Union Street, Kirkintilloch Town Hall

Listing Date: 28 May 2002

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 396048

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48641

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Kirkintilloch

County: East Dunbartonshire

Electoral Ward: Kirkintilloch East and North and Twechar

Traditional County: Dunbartonshire

Find accommodation in
Kirkintilloch

Description

Walker and Ramsay, Glasgow, 1905; minor alterations 1911 and 1913; extensive renovations 1931; extended 1959. 2-stage with basement, 3-bay, monumental classical Town Hall with Baroque references, cupola and fine interior. Sandstone ashlar with squared and snecked rubble to sides and rear. Balustraded parapet; band courses and mutuled eaves cornice with blocking course; eaves course to sides. Architraved surrounds; stylised keystones; stone transoms and mullions.

E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: steps up to 3 doors (each 2-leaf timber with plate glass fanlight) at bowed entrance bay to centre with plain frieze and cornice giving way to 3 diminutive bipartite windows with columnar mullions and heavy mutuled cornice; tall set-back 2nd stage with 3 (closely-aligned) tall transomed bipartites with single top lights, 2 decorative cartouche-type consoles, cornice and stepped parapet; battered and canted returns with carved cartouche as above. Polygonal ventilating cupola set-back on roof ridge behind, with louvred roundel to each face and corniced, domed and finialled roof. Flanking bays each with small tripartite window to advanced single stage wings with balustraded parapet and bowed inner angle with small square light, bay to right with 3 small square basement windows (that to left blocked); set-back faces above with 2 closely aligned tall, narrow, keystoned lights. Later single storey bays set-back to outer left.

N ELEVATION: single stage balustraded bay to left with 2 small basement windows, timber door immediately to right with 2 vertically-aligned windows beyond and main hall to outer right with 2 tripartite windows to 1st stage and 2 9-light transomed windows above. Lower projection at outer right.

S ELEVATION: variety of elements to altered elevation with 2 original 9-light transomed windows to set-back face.

W ELEVATION: brick extension to rear elevation.

Largely mottled glass in timber windows. Grey slates. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.

INTERIOR: fine decorative scheme in place. Some plain cornices, stone staircases (part cantilevered) with glazed brick dadoes, decorative cast-iron railings and timber handrails; some doors retain coloured glass panels. Foyer with timber-panelled screen surmounted by fine leaded and coloured Art Nouveau style glass, similar flanking 2-leaf doors and small ticket booth with cast-iron radiator. Galleried hall with timber floor, cast-iron columns, boarded and panelled dadoes; decorative plasterwork to stage; panelled gallery front with clock, original theatre-type flip-up seats and compartmentalised ceiling.

Statement of Interest

A fine early example of an ordered architectural style presaging the early days of Art Deco monumentality. Built at a cost of £11,000 (the estimate had been £8000) with many local contractors employed: Danskin & Purdie were appointed as Measurers; John Shanks (architect) as Clerk of Works; John Baxter stone mason, David Marshall joiner, J & A Williamsons plasterers, James Caldwell & Sons slaters all from Kirkintilloch, and James Johnston & Son plumber with Messrs Haddow Forbes & Co tilers both of Glasgow. The Memorial stone was laid in May 1905, and the building opened in July 1906.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.