This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.7681 / 55°46'5"N
Longitude: -4.176 / 4°10'33"W
OS Eastings: 263580
OS Northings: 654895
OS Grid: NS635548
Mapcode National: GBR 3V.9RSD
Mapcode Global: WH4QT.T8LY
Plus Code: 9C7QQR9F+6H
Entry Name: 96 and 98 Mains Street, Former Parish Council Chambers with Gatepiers and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 13 June 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396059
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48656
Building Class: Cultural
Location: East Kilbride
County: South Lanarkshire
Town: East Kilbride
Electoral Ward: East Kilbride Central North
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Dated 1913. 2-storey 3-bay, former parish council chambers. Sandstone; deep ashlar base course to principal elevation, stugged, squared and coursed masonry above with ashlar dressings and stone mullions, lintel band course at ground and eaves band course; squared and snecked rubble to sides and rear.
PRINCIPAL ELEVATION: moulded and corniced door surround to door at centre, with acanthus keystone; 2-leaf doors and plate glass fanlight; inscribed panel above in moulded surround, declaring 'Parish Council Chambers 1913'. Single window at 1st floor above rising from panel with flanking scrolls and breaking eaves in semicircula pediment with carved shield. Tripartite windows flanking at ground and bipartites at 1st floor breaking eaves in piended dormerheads.
Blank elevations to sides. Modern extension to rear.
Original timber sash and case windows with small-pane upper sashes and plate glass lowers retained at 1st floor; modern equivalents at ground. Grey slate piended roof with lead flashing. Profiled guttering and decorative cast-iron rainwater heads.
GATEPIERS AND WALL: pair of square ashlar gatepiers to pedestrian entrance with carved detail and cushion caps, leading to stone steps and flanked by coursed stone dwarf walls with saddleback coping.
Distinguished from its villa-form by the carved detailing, roofline play and fine gutterheads. Now extended to rear by Faichney Field, occupational centre.
Other nearby listed buildings