History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

96 and 98 Mains Street, Former Parish Council Chambers with Gatepiers and Boundary Wall

A Category C Listed Building in East Kilbride, South Lanarkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.7681 / 55°46'5"N

Longitude: -4.176 / 4°10'33"W

OS Eastings: 263580

OS Northings: 654895

OS Grid: NS635548

Mapcode National: GBR 3V.9RSD

Mapcode Global: WH4QT.T8LY

Entry Name: 96 and 98 Mains Street, Former Parish Council Chambers with Gatepiers and Boundary Wall

Listing Date: 13 June 2002

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 396059

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48656

Building Class: Cultural

Location: East Kilbride

County: South Lanarkshire

Electoral Ward: East Kilbride Central North

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
East Kilbride

Description

Dated 1913. 2-storey 3-bay, former parish council chambers. Sandstone; deep ashlar base course to principal elevation, stugged, squared and coursed masonry above with ashlar dressings and stone mullions, lintel band course at ground and eaves band course; squared and snecked rubble to sides and rear.

PRINCIPAL ELEVATION: moulded and corniced door surround to door at centre, with acanthus keystone; 2-leaf doors and plate glass fanlight; inscribed panel above in moulded surround, declaring 'Parish Council Chambers 1913'. Single window at 1st floor above rising from panel with flanking scrolls and breaking eaves in semicircula pediment with carved shield. Tripartite windows flanking at ground and bipartites at 1st floor breaking eaves in piended dormerheads.

Blank elevations to sides. Modern extension to rear.

Original timber sash and case windows with small-pane upper sashes and plate glass lowers retained at 1st floor; modern equivalents at ground. Grey slate piended roof with lead flashing. Profiled guttering and decorative cast-iron rainwater heads.

GATEPIERS AND WALL: pair of square ashlar gatepiers to pedestrian entrance with carved detail and cushion caps, leading to stone steps and flanked by coursed stone dwarf walls with saddleback coping.

Statement of Interest

Distinguished from its villa-form by the carved detailing, roofline play and fine gutterheads. Now extended to rear by Faichney Field, occupational centre.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.