This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.0008 / 56°0'2"N
Longitude: -3.784 / 3°47'2"W
OS Eastings: 288837
OS Northings: 680084
OS Grid: NS888800
Mapcode National: GBR 1K.TV63
Mapcode Global: WH5QZ.VF8L
Entry Name: 25 and 27 Vicar Street with 4 and 6 Princes Street
Listing Date: 25 June 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396156
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48693
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Falkirk South
Traditional County: Stirlingshire
1933, largely reconstructed 2001 after fire. Tall 2-storey and attic, mock half-timbered tea-room and dwelling with shops at ground, in Elizabethan style, on dominant corner site. Whitewashed ashlar at ground with decorative black and white mock half-timbering above; some stugged ashlar dressings. Base course, jettied attic floor and gableheads. Hoodmoulded Tudor-arched doors. Stone mullion at ground, timber transoms and mullions elsewhere.
SW (CORNER) ELEVATION: single bay, broad-gabled elevation with canted outer angles; broad door at ground with large '25' over hoodmould, 8-light transomed window at 1st floor, windowhead flanked by stone-corbelled brackets giving way to jettied attic with 4-light window.
W (VICAR STREET) ELEVATION: deep-set pilastered shop doorway to centre at ground (detail obscured by later timber signs) with metal-framed display windows in flanking bays, each window with etched panel set into multi-pane toplight. 2 asymmetrically-disposed bays above, that to left with 12-light transomed window giving way to 4-light window in gablehead, and that to right with single transomed window below tiny single window. Irregular terrace adjoining at outer left.
S (PRINCES STREET) ELEVATION: largely symmetrical, 5-bay elevation. In-canted shop door to centre at ground flanked by narrow display windows and broad display windows beyond, each window with top-light and left window with centre astragal; deep-set boarded timber door with decorative ironwork hinges to outer right and hoodmoulded bipartite window to outer left. 2 dominant gabled bays above, each with 8-light transomed window at 1st floor and 4-light window in gablehead; penultimate bay to right with single narrow transomed window below small window, and each outer bay with narrow 4-light transomed window at 1st floor and small 2-light window above. Irregular terrace adjoining at outer right.
Multi-pane leaded glazing patterns in timber casement and pivot windows; 1st floor top lights coloured. Red tiles.
Overhanging eaves, plain bargeboarding and small timber gablehead finials.
INTERIOR: Princes Street shop modern. Other properties closed at resurvey (2002).
Princes Street was opened by the Prince of Wales in 1933 at which time this building was known as the 'Tudor House'. The 2001 fire caused considerable damage necessitating replacement of the roof and interiors.
Other nearby listed buildings