This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.6482 / 56°38'53"N
Longitude: -2.7566 / 2°45'23"W
OS Eastings: 353705
OS Northings: 750965
OS Grid: NO537509
Mapcode National: GBR VQ.6CPZ
Mapcode Global: WH7QN.M5K7
Entry Name: Auldbar Road, Balgavies, (Former Station House) Including Stable, Signal Box, Platform, External Staircase, Railings and Retaining Wall
Listing Date: 18 July 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396159
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48696
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Arbroath West, Letham and Friockheim
Traditional County: Angus
1841. 2-storey (single storey to Auldbar Road), 3-bay, rectangular-plan, symmetrical former station house with additional gabled bay to S and pavilion wing to N. Squared and snecked random rubble yellow sandstone with ashlar quoins and margins. Tall rectangular windows with raised margins and projecting cills.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2-storey, symmetrical regular fenestration with astragal glazed door to centre except ground floor widow to left slightly raised due to external staircase. N (SIDE) ELEVATION: gable end with large, single storey lean-to office wing. E (AULDBAR ROAD) ELEVATION: single storey, 3-bay. Symmetrical, regular fenestration; timber panelled door with letterbox fanlight to centre. W (REAR) ELEVATION: 2-storey, 3 slightly asymmetrical bays with door to centre, smaller window above, low stone built lean-to to outer left. Gabled bay to left with advanced 2-storey triangular canted bay to centre with slated swept roof.
12-pane, timber frame sash and case windows. Coped skews and stacks skews to gable ends. Grey slates, lead flashing.
INTERIOR: timber architectural margins and shutters to ground floor windows. Boarded timber doors to ground floor, flagstoned hall with flagstone shelving to press.
STABLE: (Map Ref: NO 53779, 50960): pyramidal capped gatepier abutting pavilion wing to N marks opening to walled stable yard.
SIGNAL BOX: (Map Ref: NO 53791, 50933) Caledonian Railway, Type 1, c.1876. 2-storey rectangular-plan signal box. Red brick with yellow brick quoins. Glazed upper storey to three sides facing track bed, tripartite fixed 9-pane windows with timber mullions. Boarded timber door to W upper storey, projecting flue to E. Piended roof with overhanging eaves and projecting rafters. Grey slates, lead flashing.
INTERIOR: boarded floor to upper level - converted to sun room (circa 1990) retaining original fireplace. Signal lever frame and machinery removed.
PLATFORM: low, coped random rubble retaining wall. Paved with stone steps leading down to track bed immediately adjacent to the house.
EXTERNAL STAIRCASE, RAILINGS AND RETAINING WALL: steep flight of stone steps with cast-iron railings built upon a random rubble retaining wall leading from the road to the platform flanking the principal elevation.
Auldbar Road is a good, early former station group, located on a steeply sloping site. A distinctive feature of this former station house is its two level plan form. The impression encountered from the road of a single storey cottage as the lower floor is concealed by the earthwork ramp leading up to the bridge. The principal entrance was built to front the platform rather than the road whilst the rear looked onto the station yard and is now a private garden. Built shortly after the now dismantled Arbroath and Forfar line opened on 4 December 1838, it is a notably early example of a railway related building in the area.
Signal boxes are a distinctive and now rare building type that make a significant contribution to Scotland's diverse industrial heritage. Of more than 2000 signal boxes built across Scotland by 1948, around 150 currently survive (2013), both on and off the public network. All pre-1948 mechanical boxes still in operation are due to become obsolete by 2021.
The signal box at Auldbar Road is a good example of the earliest Caledonian Railway Company's signal boxes, the Type 1 (Northern Division). In contrast with the Caledonian's Southern Division boxes later in the 1800s, which are more decorative in appearance, the Type 1 box is simple in design with no windows to the brick base/locking room. Currently in use as a sun room, the Auldbar Road box retains its original form, profile and window pattern. The Caledonian Type 1 signal box at Errol is also listed (see separate listing).
List description updated as part of Scottish Signal Box Review (2012-13).
Other nearby listed buildings