This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6092 / 55°36'33"N
Longitude: -4.4988 / 4°29'55"W
OS Eastings: 242697
OS Northings: 637897
OS Grid: NS426378
Mapcode National: GBR 3G.MQCF
Mapcode Global: WH3Q9.V8WR
Entry Name: 1 Bank Place, Kilmarnock Standard
Listing Date: 1 August 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396164
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48706
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock West and Crosshouse
Traditional County: Ayrshire
1870. 2-storey, 1 & 3-bay Scots Baronial former shop on corner site with prominent tourelle. Crowstepped gables with block skewputts. Coursed ashlar sandstone with dressed hoodmoulds. Long and short quoins. Moulded lintels, stone mullions and sloped sills.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: later subdivided ground floor. Small modern shop front to left; Kilmarnock Standard to centre and right: paired doors to centre, rectangular glazed fanlights above, harled panels supporting timber silled bipartite shop window, timber pilaster mullions with timber KILMARNOCK STANDARD sign surmounting; moulded band course. Hoodmoulded bipartite window to 1st floor left, single hoodmoulded window off centre right leading to SE CORNER (see below); crowstepped gable to left incorporated into 2nd floor of adjacent building.
SE CORNER: harled chamfered angle to ground floor with centrally placed later metal sign "DON'T FORGET YOUR KILMARNOCK STANDARD"; corbelled tourelle to 1st floor, bipartite with decorative mullion, corbelled 1870 date plaque above; candle-snuffer roof with decorative metal finial surmounting.
E ELEVATION: to ground floor full-length tripartite shop front: base course, harled panel supporting timber silled shop window, timber pilaster mullions with timber KILMARNOCK STANDARD sign surmounting; moulded band course, bipartite window to centre of 1st floor, hoodmould surmounting.
N & W (REAR) ELEVATIONS: not seen, 2001
Plate glass timber windows to shop fronts with fixed top hoppers. 2-pane timber sash and case windows to 1st floor, with one 2-pane upper sash and single pane lower sash to one window on S elevation. Piended ungraded slate roof to main building, candle-snuffer roof with fish scale decoration and contrasting light slate bands to tourelle. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: modern shop / reception to ground floor related to Kilmarnock Standard, side flight of stairs leading to refurbished office accommodation above; original room layouts survive: plaster ceiling rose and cornice, skirting boards in main office.
Part ofB-Group with 46 Bank Street, Bank Place joins John Finnie Street to Bank Street. 1 Bank Place is a prominent corner site opposite the Bank of Scotland. Originally housing a shop, accommodation was provided above. Where the adjacent "Fast Photo Centre" is located was originally a vehicular passage giving access to the rear of the property and its yard. The area was, when originally developed, a magnet for the professional classes. This building is interesting as it is built from buff coloured sandstone in an area where red Ballochmyle stone predominates. The crowstepped gable to the W of the building survives but has been incorporated into a new roof level storey on the building next door. The building is currently in use as the offices and shop of the Kilmarnock Standard. It has been the town's weekly newspaper since 1863, and is issued on a Thursday. Bank Street was refurbished at the end of the 20th century and a number of the buildings given a new lease of life. The Kilmarnock Standard building was one of these.
Other nearby listed buildings