History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

36 - 40 (Even Nos) Bank Street

A Category C Listed Building in Kilmarnock, East Ayrshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.6093 / 55°36'33"N

Longitude: -4.4981 / 4°29'53"W

OS Eastings: 242739

OS Northings: 637909

OS Grid: NS427379

Mapcode National: GBR 3G.MQJW

Mapcode Global: WH3Q9.W86P

Entry Name: 36 - 40 (Even Nos) Bank Street

Listing Date: 1 August 2002

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 396166

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48708

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Kilmarnock

County: East Ayrshire

Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock West and Crosshouse

Traditional County: Ayrshire

Find accommodation in
Kilmarnock

Description

Gabriel Andrew, 1902. Built for James Smith. 3-bay, 3-storey rectangular-plan Freestyle Renaissance shop and dwelling house. Coursed dressed red Ballochmyle stone; red sandstone skewputts and quoins. Yellow brick to sides, red brick to rear.

NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: architraved central doorway with pilasters and cyma recta profiles; 6-panelled door with broken pediment surmounting, plain fanlight to rear. Shop fronts flanking with pilasters and cyma recta profiles to outer edges supporting projecting architraved cornice. 3-bay 1st floor: recessed canted bays windows with architraved lintel course and arch detailed centre to outer bays, rectangular window with projecting margins and triangular pediment to centre. 2nd floor: as 1st floor with stylised battlemented tops to bays and projecting timber pedimented gable to centre with wallhead stack to rear.

NE ELEVATION: adjoining gable with 30 Bank Street (listed separately).

SE (REAR) ELEVATION: not seen, 2001.

SW ELEVATION: ground and 1st floor elevations adjoining NW elevation of 42 Bank Street; blind brick 2nd floor elevation and gablehead above.

2-pane timber sash and case windows with horns to most. Bays with 3 or 4 vertically placed panes to upper sash and plate glass to lower sash. Modern PVCu glazing to 2nd floor (2nd and 3rd bays). Piended grey slate roof with oversailing eaves and gablet to front. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods. Tapered wallhead stack to front with gablehead stacks to sides

INTERIOR: central entrance leading to stone stepped close. Residential floors with some original timberwork, surrounds and some cornicing. Modern shops to ground floor with large plate glass windows.

Statement of Interest

Part of a B-Group with Laigh Kirk, Kirk Yard and Bank Street. This is one of the older streets within the town. Although developed in the 18th century from the Kirkshaugh, retail and residential buildings occurred primarily in this form from the mid-19th century onwards. This building was designed by Gabriel Andrew, one half of the local architectural firm Andrew & Newlands (with William Newlands) based at 84 Portland Street. Andrew was a well-established architect with many commercial commissions under his belt, including the Whisky Bonds and office complex for Johnny Walker in Strand Street. He designed many buildings in this street including 37, 42 and 58-60, mostly in 1902. Andrew and Newlands moved their practice office into 37 Bank Street in 1904.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.