This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6211 / 55°37'15"N
Longitude: -4.487 / 4°29'13"W
OS Eastings: 243485
OS Northings: 639196
OS Grid: NS434391
Mapcode National: GBR 3H.LT76
Mapcode Global: WH3Q4.1ZL5
Entry Name: Dean Road, Dean Castle Lodge and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 1 August 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396171
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48714
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock East and Hurlford
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Ingram & Brown, 1910. 1? storey, L-plan lodge with single storey wing to rear. Coursed rock-faced ashlar with polished ashlar dressings. Crowstepped gables with beaked skewputts.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central entrance doorway: architraved surround with blind plaque and hoodmould, window to ground floor left with projecting lintel course and hoodmould supporting stone wallhead dormer to ? storey with shield at gablehead and stone ball finial surmounting; projecting crowstepped gable end to right of door with single bay to ground floor, projecting stepped lintel course leading to window at ? storey, arrowslit to gablehead.
SW ELEVATION: central projecting crowstepped gable end with 2 bays to ground floor, string course and projecting corbelled stack to ? storey, enclosing wall adjoining to ground floor left
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: window to right at ground floor, wallhead dormer above to ? storey, single storey extension to middle with window and door to right return.
NE ELEVATION: blind elevation, gable to right with window to both storeys.
Original 7-pane timber sash and case windows (6-pane upper sash, single pane lower) as per plans. Piended grey slate roof with lead flashings and valleys. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods with decorative hoppers.
INTERIOR: retaining many original timber features, skirting boards, doors, etc; original room plan retained as original plans.
BOUNDARY WALLS: coursed rubble walls with plain rectangular copes with higher pillars in-filled with later wrought-iron rectangular railings. Short wing walls containing pair of high round gatepiers with projecting neck course and round cushion caps to vehicular entrance, further matching slightly shorter pillar to left forming pedestrian access.
Part of an A-Group with Dean Castle, Dean Castle Dower House and Dean Bridge. The lodge was designed by Ingram and Brown, a local architectural firm. Robert Ingram, known best for the Burns Monument in Kay Park, was formerly part of the practice J & RS Ingram, with his father who died in 1879. This lodge shares stylistic similarities with the former domestic work of Ingram's father James. It was built near the beginning of the 20th century during a period of repair and extension at the castle. The owner, Howard De Walden, aimed to restore and renovate the castle to a high standard and part of the improvements included a new lodge for the castle complex. Sited near the Dean Road, the lodge is the first building the visitor sees and is designed with historic styles in mind. Originally the building contained entrance hall, living room, dining room and kitchen to the ground floor and 2 bedrooms, a bathroom/wc and linen presses to the upper story. It is a good example of a purpose-built lodge that has remained relatively unaltered.
Other nearby listed buildings