This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6108 / 55°36'39"N
Longitude: -4.4876 / 4°29'15"W
OS Eastings: 243406
OS Northings: 638057
OS Grid: NS434380
Mapcode National: GBR 3H.MDXC
Mapcode Global: WH3QB.179H
Entry Name: 1 - 14 (Inclusive Numbers) De Walden Terrace Including Boundary Walls and Outbuildings
Listing Date: 1 August 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396178
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48716
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock East and Hurlford
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Gabriel Andrew, circa 1896 - 1904. Seven 2-storey, 4-bay rectangular-plan houses forming stepped L-plan terrace; further 2-storey, 4-bay house to end of terrace. Red Ballochmyle rock-faced ashlar with polished sandstone dressings. Yellow stock brick with red sandstone lintels and sills to rear; red stock brick to E gable of end house. Slightly projecting margins and deep base course. Half-timbered gables to bay windows. Stepped, plain skew gables with squared skewputts dividing houses.
W (3-14) ELEVATION: essentially 7 houses comprising: 2-storey, 4-bay. Architraved door surround to 1st and 3rd bays, arched pediment and broken-apex triangular pediment surmounting respectively, 2-leaf timber panelled doors with rectangular timber and single paned fanlights; 2-storey, 3-light canted bay window to 2nd bay, bipartite window to 4th bay. To 1st floor: single window to bays 1 and 3, bipartite window to 4th bay, all with bracketed sills. Piended half-timbered bracketed gable surmounting 2nd bay canted bay window.
E (REAR) ELEVATION: 2-storey, 4-bay: regular fenestration to first 3 bays with door to ground floor middle bay, projecting 2-storey 4th bay with window and door to ground floor, single window to 1st floor, roof light to catslide roof.
N ELEVATION: blind gable with central roof stack, sandstone boundary wall attached to ground floor right.
S (Numbers 1 & 2) ELEVATION: end of terrace: slightly projecting 2-storey, 3-light canted bay window to left; low wall with turned timber balustrades supporting open piended porch in re-entrant angle to 2nd bay, 2-leaf timber door with rectangular fanlight surmounting, single window above to 1st floor, bipartite windows to both storeys on right. Single bay addition to right: central canted 3-light bay window, bracketed half timbered gable supported by bay window; to right return: single window to left on both storeys, much later lean-to to ground floor right.
2-pane timber sash and case windows to principal elevation. Varying pane and material replacement glazing to rear elevation. Piended grey slate roof, overhanging at eaves; catslide type roof to rear stair tower. Metal ridging, flashing and valleys. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods, some now later plastic replacements. Red brick stacks with projecting red sandstone neck copes, multi-canned.
INTERIOR: good level of original timberwork remains to most houses, i.e. skirting boards, semi-panelled interior halls; some cornicing and picture rails.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND OUTBUILDINGS: very low coursed sandstone walls, segmental copes, some swept angle copes to former gate entrances. Harled and painted yellow brick S boundary wall, yellow brick E boundary walls with glazed segmental terracotta copes to all properties. Former semi-detached, single storey, washhouses at rear of garden ground in-built into boundary walls, mostly converted with modern metal garage doors. Piended roofs.
The terrace runs from Holehouse Road to the railway line at the bottom of Kay Park. Gabriel Andrew, a prominent local architect, designed the row at the end of the 19th century. It was named De Walden Terrace after the De Walden family who owned Dean Castle and much of the land in the Kilmarnock area. The lands had belonged to the 5th Duke of Portland, but on his death in 1879 the Ayrshire lands were divided, a great part going, not to the then Duke, but to Lady Howard De Walden and her descendants. Lady De Walden embarked on numerous architectural projects; many of them well-designed housing, which was then sold. The early buyers of these houses tended to be white-collar workers (such as teachers and an insurance superintendent) or local business owners, such as butchers. The architect, Andrew, was well known in Kilmarnock at the time for the commercial buildings he designed in the town centre, especially Bank Street and John Finnie Street. His residential designs are lesser known, although the Evelyn Villas, on Holehouse Road, are also one of his schemes. De Walden Terrace is quite unusual as the accommodation is actually flats designed to resemble whole houses. The stairs to the upper floor are contained within a projecting bay to the rear of the property. The wash houses to the rear of the garden
ground still survive, although most have now been converted into garages and storage sheds. Listed as a good surviving example of a little-altered terrace by a respected local architect.
Other nearby listed buildings