History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

35 Dundonald Road, Boundary Wall and Corner Pier

A Category C Listed Building in Kilmarnock, East Ayrshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.6051 / 55°36'18"N

Longitude: -4.5031 / 4°30'11"W

OS Eastings: 242408

OS Northings: 637453

OS Grid: NS424374

Mapcode National: GBR 3G.MWZH

Mapcode Global: WH3Q9.SCVX

Entry Name: 35 Dundonald Road, Boundary Wall and Corner Pier

Listing Date: 1 August 2002

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 396180

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48717

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Kilmarnock

County: East Ayrshire

Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock West and Crosshouse

Traditional County: Ayrshire

Find accommodation in
Kilmarnock

Description

J & RS Ingram, circa 1885. 1 ?-storey, 3-bay gabled Gothic detached cottage with single storey recessed attached porch to left, later single storey recessed garage to right. Long and short quoins. Painted base course and entrance arrises. Windows with chamfered arrises, roll-moulded lintels and sloped sills. Stepped moulded skews with moulded kneeler putts.

SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central entrance: deeply chamfered arrises, moulded corbels leading to lintel, panelled timber door with rectangular fanlight surmounting, stepped hoodmould with scrolled label-stops; bipartite window with stone mullion to outer bays. Single window within high finialed gable to right, extended dentilled sill course with scrolled label stops below; stepped and arched gable to centre with quatrefoil detail and rectangular plain plaque below partially concealing central dormer window; finialled wallhead gable with projecting arched side bays rising to left, extended dentilled sill course with scrolled label stops below, squared label stops supporting rainwater goods.

SW ELEVATION: at ground floor single storey stone lean-to, rectangular door surround with chamfered arrises, single-leaf framed and lined door, shallow plain parapet concealing base of timber and glazed half piended roof; gable to ? storey above.

NW (REAR) ELEVATION: not seen, 2001.

NE ELEVATION: modern, single storey, stone-clad garage obscuring centre and right of ground floor elevation; window to left bay on ground floor of main house, gable head rising above.

2-pane timber sash and case windows, arched to returns of left lucarne. 2-pane timber casement window to central dormer. Plain glazing to roof of lean-to porch. Piended grey slate roof to main house with stepped bands of fish-scale detail following plan of roof; plain piended slate roofs to dormers. Aluminium ridging and lead flashings and valleys. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods, partially concealed gutters and downpipes held by ornate brackets. Coursed ashlar stacks to gableheads, projecting neck copes, 3 - 4 hexagonal cans.

INTERIOR: not seen, 2001.

BOUNDARY WALL AND PIERS: low coursed ashlar walls with stepped pyramidal copes. Squared ashlar corner piers with stepped pyramidal cap.

Statement of Interest

Listed as a good example of a little altered Gothic cottage from the late 19th century and by a local architect. Dundonald Road was one of the major residential areas by the end of the 19th century, along with Portland and London Roads. These roads were favoured by the middle classes and merchants who used their wealth to commission individual villas as symbols of their status. The growth of Dundonald Road is noticeable on maps, radiating outwards from the Holy Trinity end of the street to the rural south. This cottage is on the west side of Dundonald Road, and forms part of a row of eclectically designed cottages. It overlooks the north west aspect of Howard Park, a large recreation area gifted to the town by the De Walden family and formerly part of the grounds of Kilmarnock House. This cottage is a more modest size than the villas, although the quality of design is as equally high. The architect was Robert Samson Ingram of the local architecturally firm J & RS Ingram. The firm was originally father and son, but James (architect of the Palace Theatre and Corn Exchange) died in 1879. His son, Robert, continued the practice in King Street, until 1907 when he formed a partnership with Brown. The Ingram family home was at 41 Dundonald Road, which was sold in 1902. By the 1930's, No. 35 was lived in by William McFadzean, a cheese merchant. The cottage is still in residential use today.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.