This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6041 / 55°36'14"N
Longitude: -4.5022 / 4°30'8"W
OS Eastings: 242460
OS Northings: 637339
OS Grid: NS424373
Mapcode National: GBR 3G.MX6B
Mapcode Global: WH3Q9.TD8P
Plus Code: 9C7QJF3X+J4
Entry Name: Howard Park, Old Men's Hut
Listing Date: 1 August 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396198
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48732
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock West and Crosshouse
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Andrew Calderwood, builder, early 20th century; later additions. Single storey square pavilion with open veranda and later enclosed addition to rear. Deep red brick base course with half-timbered, harled and painted upper section. Iron columns with timber brackets.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: half-timbered elevation with in-filled brick door surround to centre, recessed wing to left with central door, recessed blind wing to right; open veranda to length of elevation.
S ELEVATION: blind advance central bay, recessed bay to left with central door, original recessed blind elevation to right with open veranda and brick in-filled bay.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: single storey projecting blind wall to centre, recessed blind side wing to left, recessed side wing to right with door.
N ELEVATION: advanced bay to centre with centrally placed door, recessed bay to right with door, original recessed blind elevation to left with open veranda.
No original glazing, now in-filled with brick. Later timber doors to rear additions. Piended grey slate roof with overhanging splayed eaves, terracotta ridge tiles with arched scrolled finials. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods, gutters attached to barge boarding.
INTERIOR: not seen, 2001.
B Group with Howard Park Gates, Cholera Monument, Dr Marshall Monument and Park Keeper's House. The park was formerly part of the grounds of Kilmarnock House. Lord Howard De Walden gave the land to the town in 1894. The Old Men's Hut and Park Keeper's House were built as part of the improvements by the Dowager Lady Howard De Walden. Following the changes, the name was changed to Howard Park. It provided recreation facilities for the town, with it becoming a popular venue for sports such as football and bowling. The area was landscaped, trees were planted and walks laid out. The raised tree lined walk was known as the "Lady's Walk". This was where Lady Kilmarnock walked alone after the execution of her husband, the Duke of Kilmarnock, in 1746 for his part in the Jacobite uprising at Culloden. Originally this path followed the river, which was re-routed using soil and rocks from the foundations of Riccarton Church. The park catered well for visitors. It housed a Bowling Green and Clubhouse, a Park Keeper on site, Drinking fountain and bandstand, as well as the walks and playing fields. Some of these structures still survive, but are not original. The bandstand was lost in 2001. Originally, the hut's veranda was open to each elevation with benches, but the extension to rear has altered the fenestration and lost part of the veranda. The Old Men's Hut is currently behind high metal railings and is used as a store.
Other nearby listed buildings