This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6078 / 55°36'28"N
Longitude: -4.4845 / 4°29'4"W
OS Eastings: 243594
OS Northings: 637713
OS Grid: NS435377
Mapcode National: GBR 3H.MMNP
Mapcode Global: WH3QB.29TT
Entry Name: 44 London Road Including Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 1 August 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396236
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48762
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock East and Hurlford
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Possibly Alexander Adamson, circa 1875; later additions and alterations RS Ingram, 1927. 2-storey, 3-bay shallow L-plan Gothic Revival villa with lower gabled extension to right. Squared coursed sandstone rubble with stugged ashlar dressings. Gabled skewputts. Stone and wrought-iron dormer head finials. Ashlar gatepiers with coursed rubble walls.
SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: slightly advanced central entrance bay with open porch to ground floor: moulded plinths with annuleted polished red granite columns, arched stone brackets with shield stops supporting arched stone canopy porch with slated roof and wrought-iron finials, later timber / glazed door; engaged skewed buttress on right of porch; paired lancet windows above to 1st floor, arrowslit to gablehead. To right bay, hoodmoulded window to ground floor, drip course, window to 1st floor, arrowslit stone gablehead. To advanced gabled left bay, 2-storey canted bay window with 3-lights to each floor, corniced battlemented parapet surmounting with inset plaque; hoodmoulded arrowslit window to gablehead.
NW ELEVATION: 2 windows to left of ground floor, rest of elevation blind.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: not seen, 2001.
SE ELEVATION: side of 1?-storey smaller gabled extension abutting extension of No.46, blind gablehead to 1st floor.
Replacement 2-pane PVCu double-glazed windows, smaller hinged hoppers with fixed lower pane. Piended grey slate roof to main house and extension. Replacement metal ridging, valleys and flashings. Wrought-iron finials to dormer heads. Coursed ashlar gablehead stack with moulded neck cope, 3 cans, similar stack to rear.
INTERIOR: not seen, 2001.
BOUNDARY WALLS & GATE PIERS: stepped coursed sandstone rubble wall with semi-circular ashlar copes; squared coursed ashlar gate piers with pyramidal caps to entrance front. Large squared panelled pier to boundary / road end angle, architraved cushioned cap with slight finial.
Leading out of Kilmarnock to the east is London Road. Along with Portland and Dundonald Roads, London Road was viewed as a fashionable address in the 19th century. Originally a few classical villas were set along this semi-rural road, with open aspects to the south and north. Prosperous Victorians bought land and had villas designed and built as symbols of their wealth. Whilst most new villas were of classical persuasion, this is a good example of the gothic revival villas that became popular. This villa is the first building located on a road off set and raised from London Road. These properties are divided from the main road by a strip of garden with mature trees. By the 1930's, this villa was named Dunbeath and was home to David Carruthers, a local solicitor. The villa is still in residential use.
Other nearby listed buildings