This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.609 / 55°36'32"N
Longitude: -4.4907 / 4°29'26"W
OS Eastings: 243206
OS Northings: 637861
OS Grid: NS432378
Mapcode National: GBR 3H.ML73
Mapcode Global: WH3Q9.Z8QW
Entry Name: 45 London Road, Kilmarnock Masonic Halls
Listing Date: 1 August 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396238
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48764
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock East and Hurlford
Traditional County: Ayrshire
William Forrest Valentine, 1926. 2-storey, 3-bay stepped rectangular, stripped classical Masonic lodge. Coursed red Ballochmyle ashlar sandstone, red brick lesser elevations. Dressed ashlar mouldings and sills. Ashlar parapet and cornice with copper flashings. Deep base course and eaves cornice.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central entrance with projecting keystone, tripartite window to flanks; oversized arch with recessed window to central bay on 1st floor, tripartite window flanking to outer bays. Deep eaves cornice supporting central open-bed segmental pediment, leading to parapet and rectangular pediment. Roofline and ventilation fleche of much taller hall visible to rear.
E ELEVATION: to right 2-storey entrance block: 2-leaf arched door to ground floor, arched hoodmould on bracketed label stops; 3 regularly placed bays to 1st floor. Main hall to left: giant angle pilasters, partially concealed projecting stepped detailing with cornice to ground floor; 3-sided canted bay to centre with tripartite window to 1st floor. Single storey wing concealing most of ground floor, paired windows to centre. To right return, paired windows and door with fanlight above to right. Much later rear extension adjoining to left return.
S (REAR) ELEVATION: gigantic 2-storey, 3-bay plain brick hall elevation, 3 Diocletian windows to 1st floor. Adjoining and concealing original ground floor plan, much later high single storey hall with timbered gable and horizontal bank of narrow windows under eaves; more windows and additional lean-to to right return; further lower single storey flat-roofed extension to left return.
W ELEVATION: to left 2-storey entrance block: 3 regularly placed bays to 1st floor. Main hall to right: giant angle pilasters, central band course, pair of ventilation holes to outer bays of 1st floor.
Opaquely glazed 15-pane timber casement windows to larger windows, hinged upper 3-light hopper; 6-pane timber casements to smaller windows. Opaque glazed panels, some arched, to timber doors Piended grey slate roof with slated gables; timber ventilation louvres to gableheads. Copper ventilation fleche with splayed roof, copper rod and ball finial surmounting. 2-pane rooflight to rear of hall roof, row of ventilators close to eaves at rear and side elevations. Terracotta ridge tiles and copper flashings. Concealed flat roof to entrance and E wing. Piended modern slate roof and ridge tiles to later rear extension. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods, concealed parapet gutters.
INTERIOR: not seen, 2001.
This Masonic Lodge was purpose built in 1926. It now replaces various smaller lodges throughout Kilmarnock. It is found on the south side of London Road on the former site of 2 houses. Behind it was a nursery, then the extension to the Technical School. William Forrest Valentine (1885 - 1957) was an apprentice to Robert Ingram. He studied in Italy and set up his own practice in 1907. His most prolific periods are 1913, then 1920 - 1930. Much of his work was for the Kilmarnock Equitable and co-operative societies within Ayrshire. He also designed the Hunting Lodge Pub (formerly the Dark Horse) and his own house, Gardrum, 21 Glasgow Road. He was regarded as one of the more colourful personalities within the local community.
Other nearby listed buildings