This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6079 / 55°36'28"N
Longitude: -4.5002 / 4°30'0"W
OS Eastings: 242603
OS Northings: 637755
OS Grid: NS426377
Mapcode National: GBR 3G.MQ20
Mapcode Global: WH3Q9.V97S
Plus Code: 9C7QJF5X+5W
Entry Name: 1 and 3 Portland Road
Listing Date: 1 August 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396242
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48767
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock West and Crosshouse
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Circa 1855. Pair of 2-storey, 2-bay classical L-plan dwelling houses, extended to rear. Coursed sandstone ashlar principal facade; coursed sandstone rubble to sides and rear. Heavy base course and eaves cornice. Architraved dressed ashlar window surrounds. Skew gabled.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: No. 1: to ground floor left, pilasters forming slightly projecting door surround, flush rectangular pediment supporting projecting moulded cornice; window with architraved surround to right. To 1st floor, architraved window to left and right; projecting cornice with low parapet course surmounting.
W ELEVATION: original gable to right: single storey later porch concealing ground floor elevation, window to extreme left and right on 1st floor; rear extension partially concealed by adjacent building.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: gable ends with wallhead stack to centre; No. 3's gable slightly more advanced. Yellow brick inner returns, fenestration not seen, 2001.
E ELEVATION: original gable to left: window with projecting sill and margins to extreme left and right on both storeys. To right, rear extension: 3 windows with projecting sills and margins to ground floor; matching window to outer bays on 1st floor. Adjoining to extreme right of ground floor: stone piers supporting triangular ashlar pediment, timber door leading to rear yards; coursed rubble wall to right with arched coping.
2-pane timber sash and case windows. Piended grey slate roof; metal ridging, flashing and valleys. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods, concealed guttering to front draining to down pipe on W elevation, painted cast-iron waste pipes to E elevation. Yellow brick stacks to gable heads and rear wall heads; red brick neck coping to E stack with 4 octagonal cans, narrow projecting stone copes to other stacks, mixed octagonal and terracotta cans.
INTERIOR: slightly altered to form dental practice and offices, original room plan in existence.
Named after the Duke of Portland, this road contained part of the route for the original tramline between Kilmarnock and Troon. The terminus was in the road's east end where it joins the present St Marnock Street and the line passed where Nos. 6 & 8 Portland Road now stand. Originally, St Marnock Street stretched from King Street to the railway bridge at Irvine Road until part of it was renamed Portland Road. This particular pair of house was one of the earliest buildings on the newly developed road, which was opened up properly between 1855 and 1870. These houses were built some time between the 1849 map of the Duke of Portland's property being printed and the 1857 Ordnance Survey map of the same area. Until this point there were few houses, the route being primarily rural and leading to large country villas and farms. No. 1 is now being used as a dental surgery with No. 3 for business purposes. These former dwelling houses are prominently positioned on the junction of Portland Road and John Finnie Street. An older church to the west was demolished and a late 20th century ribbed concrete replacement constructed.
Other nearby listed buildings