History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

10 - 16 (Even Nos) Portland Road

A Category B Listed Building in Kilmarnock, East Ayrshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.6076 / 55°36'27"N

Longitude: -4.5015 / 4°30'5"W

OS Eastings: 242519

OS Northings: 637731

OS Grid: NS425377

Mapcode National: GBR 3G.MPS1

Mapcode Global: WH3Q9.T9LY

Entry Name: 10 - 16 (Even Nos) Portland Road

Listing Date: 1 August 2002

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 396253

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48769

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Kilmarnock

County: East Ayrshire

Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock West and Crosshouse

Traditional County: Ayrshire

Find accommodation in
Kilmarnock

Description

Mid 19th century. Terrace of 2 pairs of attached 2-storey, 2-bay L-plan plain classical houses. Coursed ashlar, harled and painted. Giant angle pilasters and heavy architraved eaves course to each pair. Projecting base course and moulded window margins.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATIONS: No 10 & 12: paired doors to centre, architraved surrounds and bracketed canopies terminating in stepped plaques; single window with architraved surround and projecting lintel to flanks; 4 regularly placed bays to 1st floor; moulded eaves course projecting E beyond line of building. No. 12 & 14: as No 10 & 12 but moulded eaves course projecting W beyond line of building into No16.

E ELEVATION: adjoining rest of terrace to both storeys, blind gable to left return of No.10

S (REAR) ELEVATION: not seen, 2001

W ELEVATION: adjoining No 16 Portland Road.

Later 2-pane timber sash and case windows to Nos. 12 and 14; replacement PVCu 2-pane windows to Nos. 10 and 14. Piended grey slate roof with lead flashings to all houses. Low yellow brick stacks with 5 low plain cans to end gables and 8 low plain terracotta cans to central stack. Concealed rainwater goods to N elevation.

INTERIOR: retaining some original timber internal features, i.e. skirting boards and doors. Some ground floors in use as business premises.

Statement of Interest

Named after the Duke of Portland, this road contained part of the route for the original tramline between Kilmarnock and Troon. The terminus was in road's E area where it joins the present St Marnock Street and the line passed where Nos. 6 & 8 Portland Road now stand. Originally, St Marnock Street stretched from King Street to the Railway Bridge at Irvine Road until part of it was renamed Portland Road. This particular terrace was a planned block in the development of the road, which was opened up properly between 1855 and 1870. This early terrace was built some time between the 1849 map of the Duke of Portland's property being printed and the 1857 Ordnance Survey map of the same area. Until this point there were few houses, the route being primarily rural leading to large country villas and farms. The terrace is now used for commercial and business purposes, as well as residential use.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.