This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6077 / 55°36'27"N
Longitude: -4.5025 / 4°30'9"W
OS Eastings: 242456
OS Northings: 637744
OS Grid: NS424377
Mapcode National: GBR 3G.MPKF
Mapcode Global: WH3Q9.T93W
Plus Code: 9C7QJF5W+3X
Entry Name: 28 and 30 Portland Road
Listing Date: 1 August 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396263
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48776
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock West and Crosshouse
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Possibly Robert Samson Ingram of J & RS Ingram, late 19th century. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay pair of rectangular-plan semi-detached Gothic villas with lower rear wings and later additions. Dressed red Ballochmyle ashlar facade, coursed sandstone sides and rear. Roll moulded base course. Chamfered arrises and drip sills. Skew gabled with plain skews and squared kneelers. Battlemented parapets to bays.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: No. 28 & No. 30: adjoining to form 3-bay property. To ground floor central bay: 3 plinthed, engaged, contrasting Corinthian columns with central red stone shaft rings, holding arched brackets with shield stops, moulded canopy with canted 3-sided porch roof surmounting; timber panelled door within architraved door surround to both door ways. Slightly recessed bay above to 1st floor with gabled buttresses to ? storey; resting on porch: shared bipartite arched window with chamfered arrises, shaft-ringed mullion supporting arched hoodmould with decorative roundel to centre; corbelled cornice supporting battlemented parapet surmounting, stepped triangular pediment to centre with shield detail. Slightly advance bipartite window to outer bays of ground floor; to 1st floor, corbelled 3-sided canted bay window, corbelled cornice supporting battlemented parapet, stepped triangular pediment to centre with shield detail. Gablehead above: shouldered window to centre, stepped putts aligned to upper angles, arched arrowslit to gablehead, heavy square based finial supporting ball, terminating in pair of smaller spiked balls.
E ELEVATION: gable end with window to ground floor left, wall of rear 1 ? -storey extension partially concealed by adjoining property.
S (REAR) ELEVATION: No. 30 to left: former door partially concealed by later lean-to to ground floor left, window above to 1st floor, stair window to 1st floor right partially concealed by shared 1 ? -storey extension with window to rear; additional shared lean-to to rear. 3-sided canted dormer window to attic of main house. No. 28 to right: mirror image of No.30 without later lean-to over yard.
W ELEVATION: gable end with window to extreme left of both storeys. Adjoining to right formerly leading to rear yard, ashlar door surround with rectangular pediment and cornice, blind coursed rubble wall to right, glazing lean-to roof covering yard and adjoining blind wall of rear 1 ? -storey extension.
2 & 4-pane timber sash and case windows to N, E & W elevations. 6 & 10-pane lying pane timber sash and case windows to rear. Shouldered 4-pane windows to front attics. 3-sided canted timber attic dormers to rear with slated cheeks and piended roofs, containing 2-pane timber sash and case windows. Paired vertically positioned 2-pane cast-iron Carron lights to rear elevation. Piended grey slate roof to all, paired band of arched slates to porch roof. Metal ridging, flashing and valleys. Cast-iron rainwater goods to front elevation, guttering concealed behind battlemented parapet with stone skew forming hopper cover, varied material / style of rainwater goods to rear. Long low gablehead stack, old render covering construction material, cans now removed. Tall, shared, yellow brick stack to rear wing with stone neck cope and 6 plain yellow cans.
INTERIOR: panelled doors, skirting boards, some fire surrounds & timber staircases surviving. Original stained glass margins to landing rear windows.
Named after the Duke of Portland, this road contained part of the route of the original "tram road" between Kilmarnock and Troon. The terminus was at the east end of the road where it joins the present St Marnock Street and the line passed where Nos 6 & 8 Portland Road now stand. Originally, St Marnock Street stretched from King Street to the railway bridge at Irvine Road until part of it was re-named Portland Road. The houses to the east of this pair are classical in style and part of the planned development of the Road, which was opened up properly between 1855 and 1870. The earlier terraces were constructed between the Duke of Portland's property map being printed and the 1857 map of the same area. Until this point there were fewer houses, the route being primarily rural and leading to larger country villas and farms. Nos. 28 & 30 were built slightly later than the adjacent terrace and borrow stylistic elements from the grander villas in the town. They are believed to be by the local architectural firm J & RS Ingram. Robert Ingram, the son of James, was the architect of the Burns Monument in Kay Park. He remained in Kilmarnock and eventually became one half of the practice Ingram and Brown.
Other nearby listed buildings