This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6083 / 55°36'29"N
Longitude: -4.4979 / 4°29'52"W
OS Eastings: 242753
OS Northings: 637795
OS Grid: NS427377
Mapcode National: GBR 3G.MQLB
Mapcode Global: WH3Q9.W9BG
Entry Name: 5 - 7 (Odd Numbers) St Marnock Place
Listing Date: 1 August 2002
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396268
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48779
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock West and Crosshouse
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Circa 1895. 2-storey, 3-bay by 6-bay, office / warehouse with attic and basement. Red Ballochmyle polished ashlar front and rear facade, band and eaves courses, long and short quoins. Bull-faced ashlar to 1st floor of principal elevation. Weathered red bull-faced ashlar basement adjoining riverbank. Yellow brick sides.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central timber panelled door with single pane rectangular fanlight, flanking brackets supporting segmental pediment; tripartite window to flanks of door, projecting drip sill, moulded upper arrises and flush lintel; outer brackets on band course. To 1st floor, 3 regularly placed architraved windows, conjoined segmental hoodmould above each, recessed panel above window; projecting eaves cornice. Central stone dormer to attic: pilastered, architraved surround supporting triangular pediment.
W ELEVATION: to ground floor: later door to 1st bay, rectangular stone silled window with fabric awnings to bays 2 and 3, flanking advertising board, 4th bay former vehicle entrance now in-filled with arch awning above entrance door, smaller timber door to right; rectangular window with stone sill to 5th bay with much smaller window adjacent to right, blind to 6th bay. To 1st floor: rectangular window, stone sills and lintels and lintel course, recessed blind brick arches above; eaves course.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: not seen, 2001.
E ELEVATION: slightly projecting, rusticated basement with 6 regularly placed bays. To ground floor: blind to 1st bay, bipartite window with stone sill and mullion to 2nd bay, 4 regularly placed rectangular windows with projecting stone sills to bays 3 - 6, fabric awnings to 3 bays to right. To 1st floor: rectangular window, stone sills and lintels and lintel course, recessed blind brick arches above; eaves course.
10-pane lying-pane timber sash and case windows to 1st floor of E elevation & W elevation; to S elevation and ground floor left of E, 2-pane timber sash and case windows with horned upper sashes. Replacement 2-pane PVCu windows to basement of E elevation. Piended grey slate roof, with metal ridging and flashing. Piended grey slate roof to stone attic dormer, slated cheeks, Painted cast-iron rainwater goods, gutter concealed by eaves cornice, downpipes to side elevations. Inverted T-plan brick wallhead stack to left of E gable with red sandstone dressings in 90 degree angles; projecting ashlar neck cope, 4 plain cans; gablehead stack to N elevation, projecting ashlar neck cope with 5 plain cans.
INTERIOR: office accommodation to front portion of building; pub / restaurant to rear.
This former warehouse is found adjacent to the Timmer Bridge - a footbridge joining the Bridge Lane / King Street area with St Marnock Place / Nelson Street area over the Kilmarnock Water. It is similar in style to most of the late 19th century commercial buildings in Kilmarnock with yellow brick sides and a formal dressed red ashlar frontage with good architectural details. The building was home to J & S Templeton, cheese and seed merchants during the 1930's. These warehouses were near to the river for ease of moving and delivering stock as well as utilising water in grinding processes. The formal offices were used to meet clients and buyers, whilst more informal work was carried out in the rest of the building. Stock was transferred through a large opening in the W elevation. Like the Borland Seed Warehouse, this building is now in commercial use with offices to the front and a club to the rear and side.
Other nearby listed buildings